U13 question for those who have been using it

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the wife and the DFXs to Cape May NJ yesterday. Was a beautiful day to listing to the silence of target free sand.. but the +95 I got from every little bump of the right front of the U13 was a bit madding.. As you can see, I am posting this at 5:35 and have been up since 4am thinking about this.
I had noticed this in the school field with the sensitivity set down around 60 at times when I hit a weed stump but did not freak out about it. With the mineral free sand and EMI free air at the beach I had the DFXs running hot which exasperated the condition. Is this normal for these open epoxy design coils? I mean any change in the physical shape is going to effect the stable transmit field causing a reaction in the receive winding.. It does not seem like it "should" be this touchy that hitting a ripple in the sand should cause it to false. Switched to the 950 and was nice and quiet.
I just don't want to ship this back to the dealer for an exchange if this is normal nor do I want to wait until it is out of warranty to find out it is not normal.
Thanks!

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a bad loop. Have you tried duplicating the problem in another location? Try tapping it lightly with a piece of wood to see if it falses. If so, I'd send it back.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it has happened more than a few times just not as often at low sensitivity in trashy sports fields. I do need to put it on the other DFX and verify it is not something in the box but from how it was acting on the beach I really do believe it is the coil. This would not be the first Defective NEW whites coil I have had to send back.. seems like I spend a LOT of money shipping defectives back very frustrating.. one NEW 4x6 cost me about $30 over the cost of the new coil in returns before they got me one that worked correctly.

Keep On Diggin

May 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta, Eurotek Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Airscapes, I get a lot of falsing as you describe when running my DFX a little too hot on the beach. Not sure, but kinda sounds like the same thing you were experiencing. From what I have read on some other forums, the U13 is less stable than the 950 because it is a D2. I have been reluctant to purchase a U13 yet because of that very reason. I think the 950 is better for the beach IMHO. ( I can even get falsing with the 950 if the AC is set too high or running in mixed mode.)

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it replaced as the threshold was also blanking out when bumped while running less hot and very stable. Now if the snow would leave I might be able to test it.. 60 later this week but with rain!

Keep On Diggin

May 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta, Eurotek Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great! Let me know if that one works out. I've got a brand new V3i to match it with.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be a while with the weather, but I would not let my experience stop you from buying one, I like it a lot, and I have a lot of bad luck buying stuff.. any stuff..

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The u13 is a dd coil which will not run smooth in the wet sand. The 950 coil is the best coil for the sand at the beach.That is the only time my Vx3 sees the 950 coil. I go to Cape may every June for a week. You are right it is a target free zone for the most part. I have talked to many locals that swing that place. They all have told me that you need to go during the busy season, July 4th to Labor day. I don't like going down that time because the rates are high and to many people. Good luck

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The u13 is a dd coil which will not run smooth in the wet sand. The 950 coil is the best coil for the sand at the beach.That is the only time my Vx3 sees the 950 coil. I go to Cape may every June for a week. You are right it is a target free zone for the most part. I have talked to many locals that swing that place. They all have told me that you need to go during the busy season, July 4th to Labor day. I don't like going down that time because the rates are high and to many people. Good luck

Thanks, only issue is I was on dry sand.. Still have not had a chance to try the replacement coil.. too dang cold!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just ordered the U13 for my V3I, can't wait to give it a whirl, I will try to remember to report back here.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I loved the U13 with my DFX it's even better with my V3i

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread