Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett to white's?

GTI 2500 finally died. Been using the Ace 250 and it makes me sad lol

Found a Spectrum XLT with pro pointer and lesche digger for $325
Is this still a decent detector, or would I be better off saving my clad for an at pro, or minelab?

Been a Garrett fanboy for awhile now, so enlighten me all you white's guys and gals!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the At Pro and absolutely love it. It hits deeper than most other machines. With Nel coils I'm pulling silver dies from 8 to 9". Nickels to 7". I found a 1907 dog tax tag at 12". If you learn the Pro you will blow the other machines away. You will probably dig more trash than the other machines but you will go deeper.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would save my money and at least go for a detector comparable to the At Pro.. They are good detectors and I believe Whites and MineLab or any of the major detector manf. have a model comparable to the At Pro

call Bart at BigboysHobbies he is a straight shooter and give you the pros and cons of each brand.. His prices can't be beat either

OP
OP
N

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the guy sweetened the deal, I got the XLT, nicad battery and charger, the aa pack, propointer, Lesche digger and headphones, delivered for $300

Just couldn't pass it up, figured if I don't like it that it wouldn't be hard to get my $ back, or most of it and an extra pinpointer etc.

From what I hear the XLTs are older but can still hold their own in the fields against the "top" machines.

So today starts the adventure in learning a new machine, bye bye Garrett (eeek) Hello White's

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also purchased an XLT used from a friend for about the same price 5 years ago . He sent it back to whites because the screen went blank. Came back like new, that's why a bought it. Lasted 3 years and the screen failed again.... I trashed it! Was a great machine! Too bad it wouldn't last longer!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; First is that the XLT is far more sensitive and accurate than the at pro any day of the week. Also you can use it on wet sand with no problems at all. Also if you EVER have a problem with the XLT you just send it to White's and they will fix it for FREE almost every time thus meaning that you will die before the detector does ok. Also I have found dimes at a foot deep routinely. Quarters at 14". you can't beat that. The Discrimination System is very sensitive and accurate ok. You made a great choice there plus you got all the other goodies. Sweet. !!! Enjoy it. You will love it with a little practice ok. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
N

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I only got out a for a few minutes in the front yard but let me say I'm liking this XLT already.
Found 2 cents but in a spot in my yard I had been over many times before with the GTI and 250..

One of the penny's had a nail above it and old style part of pull tab below it...
...the xlt made some sounds that I had never heard before, but new it was music, between the vdi and the "scratchy-mixed" up new sounds... I just knew it was going to be a coin, low and behold a Lincoln.
Sounds silly but haven't been this excited over a penny in awhile! Lol

Sneakyweasel

Greenie
Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had both the GTI2500 and 1500, as well as various other Garrett detectors.. and have always come back to the MXT. Ground handling is one part of it, since I've yet to find ground over which it cannot hunt. On the other hand, I've had the GTI's just plain overload when the coil got within about 5" of the ground, regardless of settings. Another thing I REALLY like about the MXT is the near instantaneous response to a target.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xlt is better than the garrets any day of the week.had my xlt over 20 yrs still looks and works like new.holds its own with all the modern machines.trick is the more you learn it the better it becomes.have fun.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
xlt is better than the garrets any day of the week.had my xlt over 20 yrs still looks and works like new.holds its own with all the modern machines.trick is the more you learn it the better it becomes.have fun.

I run the AT PRO and Whites V3i and love both detectors. The Pro with big Nel coils will go super deep in even trashy areas. Yes you will dig a,lot of trash. If you can watch the Hoover boys on U Tube. Now,the V3i,is a coin magnet, it will get some very deep old coins and you will dig some less,trash, however you have to figure out the best setup,for that particular soil,and area. The people I hunt with are surprised at the depth I get with both these machines. I hunt with users of the CTX 3030 and I get deeper coins and targets but they do get better readings on targets and dig fewer trash.
Another positive for the PRO is it's water proof,and can be used in water and wet weather. Hope,this helps,you.
Good,hunting
,MackDog

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MackDog; Just curious here; The V3i has "Automatic" Ground Balance hence there is NO need to figure out the soil conditions. Why do you do that ?? Am I missing something ??? Just Curious. Maybe I'll learn something new here ok. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
N

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run the AT PRO and Whites V3i and love both detectors. The Pro with big Nel coils will go super deep in even trashy areas. Yes you will dig a,lot of trash. If you can watch the Hoover boys on U Tube. Now,the V3i,is a coin magnet, it will get some very deep old coins and you will dig some less,trash, however you have to figure out the best setup,for that particular soil,and area. The people I hunt with are surprised at the depth I get with both these machines. I hunt with users of the CTX 3030 and I get deeper coins and targets but they do get better readings on targets and dig fewer trash.
Another positive for the PRO is it's water proof,and can be used in water and wet weather. Hope,this helps,you.
Good,hunting
,MackDog

Well I ended up getting the XLT and am doing pretty well with it and like it.
3 hunts, 5 silvers, and an old gold ring... Most of that in a place I have hunted.
Even better news I made a deal with a local TN-er on an At-pro with 2 coils and shafts... So I'll have the best of both worlds that my little budget can afford [emoji39]

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well ....I'm hanging up my whites for now! I purchased the Garrett 2500 from Kellyco!
I think I got a good deal as it was on sale!
I will need some time to adjust to a new and different machine . Should be fun just learning the new 2500!
HH

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi MackDog; Just curious here; The V3i has "Automatic" Ground Balance hence there is NO need to figure out the soil conditions. Why do you do that ?? Am I missing something ??? Just Curious. Maybe I'll learn something new here ok. PEACE:RONB
Ground balance neutralizes the detector t the soil so it will see the target. On the V3i you have to make sure you filters, ga, disc and all metal are set right to. If they are too hot your signal will bounce off the ground and you won't get any good depth. When everything is set up right you wil be able to see, hear and correctly identify the deep targets. The V is so sensitive saturated ground or fertilized ground will require you to have to change your settings. I think I have this right if not I'm sure Fox or some one will be able to explain it better .

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OP - question for you - you picked up both and I have the same conundrum.
I have a great opportunity to get an XLT spectrum for 285, but I was saving up for an AT PRO. I know the xlt is dated but I'm not really enjoying my ace 350 anymore mainly because it doesn't have ground balance features.

Tell me which you are liking better?

OP
OP
N

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OP - question for you - you picked up both and I have the same conundrum.
I have a great opportunity to get an XLT spectrum for 285, but I was saving up for an AT PRO. I know the xlt is dated but I'm not really enjoying my ace 350 anymore mainly because it doesn't have ground balance features.

Tell me which you are liking better?

The XLT is a great machine and I have found quite a bit with it but I find myself grabbing the ATP 9 1/2 out of 10 times... Recovery speed is way faster and the ATP is a lot easier to adjust... The XLT has more adjustments but the menu scrolling is a pain... But I'm more of an old school kind of guy and the only thing that took me getting used to is the ATP is a silent search machine, meaning you don't hear a threshold... I like and miss having and hearing one but that's just me.

If you do get the ATP make sure to get the 5x8 coil it totally changes the machine, since I put it on its never came off and if it ever comes off it won't be for the stock coil, maybe a nel etc... That's a downfall of the XLT, not many after market coils available.

In short the XLT is a great machine and a huge step up from a 350 imo, but so is the ATP in just standard mode (I never use) it's like a 350 on steroids but run pro 0 and it's a different animal.
If for any reason I had to chose between the two I personally would keep the ATP and have to let the XLT go.... But that's me! HH

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The White's XLT is an out standing coin finding machine. I've used it for 15 years and never felt that I was missing things others were finding. On the contrary, I found the location of an old park about an hour away. I was really excited with the prospects of finding older coins. When I arrived I was the only one at the park. I felt like I'd discovered this secret place and had it all for myself. Within an hour there were four more people metal detecting, one within 30-35 feet of me. :(

Story told, that summer I pulled about 100 old coins out of that park; Indian head pennies, Barber nickles, Washington quarters, Mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, and Wheat pennies all dated between 1895-1950. Yet almost every time I went there were 1 to 5 other people detecting. I never talked to one of them that was finding much of anything!

I recently purchased the MX Sport. It's a great machine with the MXT electronics. I'm really enjoying it! However I purchased it as a waterproof supplement for my XLT, not to replace it. You can't beat the XLT for pulling coins out of parks loaded with pull-tabs, bottlecaps, screw caps, plumbing parts, etc. While the XLT may get some well earned time off, it'll still be my "go to" machine when headed for "trash park city" and looking to have another "century day!" Tt

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions