MXT Pro??

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
I've been out of detecting for a few years.Started with the Garrett 250, to a Minelab Xterra, to a White's MXT, and finally a Minelab Etrac.

When moving up, I sold the previous units, except for the MXT, which I kept as a backup when I bought the Etrac.

Sold the Etrac when I quit hunting 3 years ago.

With a bit more time on my hands, I want to start hunting again. I took the MXT out for a test run last week, and found that my biggest problem with it was the same sound tone for all possible targets. Which means I have to constantly be looking at the screen. The Etrac had differing tones for different targets, so you could swing without looking and wait for a certain tone if you were looking for something specific...in my case, silver.

New Etracs are just too pricey, and even used ones are as well. I see the MXT Pro has multiple tones, and I'm thinking that may be a middle ground, even though maybe not quite up to Etrac standards.

The MXT, aside from the monotone issue, was good to me (best find an 1879 Morgan dollar in super condition), so I know the White's are good machines.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I do not like to hunt with discrimination, so tone ID is a must for me.

I owned an MXT Pro for a few years, and it is plenty capable.

It is no eTrac, though.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you can go wrong with a used MXT pro or All Pro the prices are decent on those. Someone bought a All Pro for 450.00 I think on another Forum not to long ago. If I see a All Pro at that price again I just might snatch it up.

Sneakyweasel

Greenie
Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having swung an MXT for over 10 years, I switched to an MXT Pro last year and it made a great detector just that much better.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take the MXT over the E-trac any day, the MXT is every bit as deep as the E-trac with the right coil and if tones are a big deal the pro will work just fine. I never feel outgunned with my MXT, I've detected side by side with the V3i and the E-trac. HH

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
etrac is garbage and wont detect in ALL soil conditons like the MXT ALL PRO . UPGRADE to the ALL PRO

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the mxt-pro and MX-5 at the same time to test them side by side. I personally liked the MX-5 better because the audio sounds much better to me. The standby mode was a great feature, single touch on/off backlight (mxt has 3 levels) and it was a little deeper than mxt pro in the little bit of testing in my coin garden. I am actually wanting to try an m-6 that I found a great deal on.
For consistent deep silver it is hard to beat FBS machines.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the MXT pro is the best machine Whites has ever made....and one of the best VLF machines out there. Definitely holds its own against anything VLF for relic hunting. If given the choice of a new Whites I would take the MXT all pro over the V3i, MX sport or any other whites.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use an Etrac, Fisher F75SE and a MXT All Pro. All great machines in their own way.

The MXT is deep, very well balanced, pinpoints well, etc. Its target ID is not as good as the Etrac, its not as fast as the F75, but its a really great machine.
Gary from Oregon

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know many people who have traded their E-tracs for MXTs and their sites have come alive again, The MXT will out hunt the E-trac any day of the week, You miss too many targets with FBS and BBS VLF machine because of the Iron masking even when it is turned off it is still running in the back ground and if you pass over an Iron target the coil can be 2 feet away by the time the threshold returns, I done a field test running them side by side on the same patch of ground and the MXT Smoked the E-trac embarrassingly So, using the 12 inch Concentric Coil in a heavily Trash filled site while the E-trac had the standard 11 inch DD fitted,

Simple way to prove it is follow someone using an E-trac and dig all the targets they missed, I tested the MXT against the E-trac and the Quatro and the Sovereign GT and you have to work so slow, I tried 10 coils on the GT and also the E-trac and the MXT with the 12 inch coil still wiped the floor with them,

Just because the MXT does not sound like R2D2 does not mean a thing and to this day there is Still nothing Better, The Laws of Physics make up the Rules not detector companies and all those company's can do is work/Design machines to work within those Laws and the MXT runs right on the Limits of those Laws,

john.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few tips that have significantly improved my finds and depth on the MXT All Pro:

I only use relic mode (don't use coin mode for coins!). I also use relic mode in the "secret mode", which is basically relic mode with the coin mode tones. (This was actually a bug that White's left alone because so many people like using it.) I also use zero disc. Last, crank the gain as high as you can! If your ears and brain can handle all that, then you won't miss much, if anything!

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of little tricks the MXT can do, You can lay a nail on top of a coin in any direction and it will still see the coin, It is one of a very view machines that can do that,

John.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know many people who have traded their E-tracs for MXTs and their sites have come alive again, The MXT will out hunt the E-trac any day of the week, You miss too many targets with FBS and BBS VLF machine because of the Iron masking even when it is turned off it is still running in the back ground and if you pass over an Iron target the coil can be 2 feet away by the time the threshold returns, I done a field test running them side by side on the same patch of ground and the MXT Smoked the E-trac embarrassingly So, using the 12 inch Concentric Coil in a heavily Trash filled site while the E-trac had the standard 11 inch DD fitted,

Simple way to prove it is follow someone using an E-trac and dig all the targets they missed, I tested the MXT against the E-trac and the Quatro and the Sovereign GT and you have to work so slow, I tried 10 coils on the GT and also the E-trac and the MXT with the 12 inch coil still wiped the floor with them,

Just because the MXT does not sound like R2D2 does not mean a thing and to this day there is Still nothing Better, The Laws of Physics make up the Rules not detector companies and all those company's can do is work/Design machines to work within those Laws and the MXT runs right on the Limits of those Laws,

john.

This is not true...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are lots of little tricks the MXT can do, You can lay a nail on top of a coin in any direction and it will still see the coin, It is one of a very view machines that can do that,

John.

My Etrac and F75 can do that... The key is setting up each detector correctly... You guys must be brand loyal... I am not... I would use a $39 detector if it worked best for the environment I was in...

I have over $5K in just 4 detectors and tear it up. I use the correct one for the correct situation...
Gary from Oregon

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Etrac and F75 can do that... The key is setting up each detector correctly... You guys must be brand loyal... I am not... I would use a $39 detector if it worked best for the environment I was in...

I have over $5K in just 4 detectors and tear it up. I use the correct one for the correct situation...
Gary from Oregon

Brand loyal has nothing to do with it, And the MXT will cover about 98% of a persons detecting needs, It does not matter how much you have spent on 4 detectors I have 5K invested in one machine and 7K in four others and a lot more too,

There is nothing anyone can tell me about the MXT series I have over 3000 hours of detecting time invested in it PLUS over 2000 invested in testing it from one side of the world to the other,

You need to realize that the person you are calling a Liar is not a 15 year old Fan Boy.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brand loyal has nothing to do with it, And the MXT will cover about 98% of a persons detecting needs, It does not matter how much you have spent on 4 detectors I have 5K invested in one machine and 7K in four others and a lot more too,

There is nothing anyone can tell me about the MXT series I have over 3000 hours of detecting time invested in it PLUS over 2000 invested in testing it from one side of the world to the other,

You need to realize that the person you are calling a Liar is not a 15 year old Fan Boy.

I didn't see anyone call you a liar. Confused maybe but not a liar.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are obviously confused!

Go away, don't bother Trolling my posts, If you don't like move on, I will survive without your wisdom.

Oh and the Best machine you own is that Tesoro, and just so you know, your 705 only exists because Minelab Reverse Engineered the MXT to find out why it was so Good so they could adapt that Technology to the 705.

The good thing about the internet is YOU don't know who you are actually talking to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread