White's MX Sport Finds Silver #4!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All Y'all White's Treasure/Junk ee's.

Winter is tough on all of us that like this hobby, but I did manage to get out for 3-4 hours this past week. I've had the MX Sport now for two months and I'm still spending as much time learning the machine as I am hunting, but that's all part of the fun! The end of last week I collected $3.07 in change and a Match Box car.

I've been finding more toy cars with the MXS than I used to with my White's XLT. I think the XLT discrimination settings that I use plus the graph averaging feature were screening out the cars to the point I didn't dig. The MX Sport VDI's Match Box cars between 67-73, jumpy but they give nice clear tones.

I also found a 1942 Mercury dime this afternoon. I was experimenting with the MXS using a different coil and was just looking for silver. I had the 7 inch Detech coil and headed for a part of the park loaded with can slaw. Most people won't even attempt to metal detect that area but I wanted to give it a try. It was strange standing in a 5 acre treeless park with a small 7 inch coil. It felt like I was looking for that proverbial needle in a hay stack. Anyway, I decided to find the areas with the most can slaw and really search for the silver signals there.

It was difficult even with the 7 inch coil to pick good signals from all the shredded cans, however after and hour or two I got the VDI 77, solid signal, small target so I dug it. I had a little difficulty pinpointing but did manage to get the dime out of the hole without scratching it. This is silver #4 for the MXS!

All said and done, I think I'll go back to using the 950 concentric coil when searching trashy parks because it can cover a lot more ground, the concentric coil discriminates bottle caps best, and it will pull deep silver really well.

Thanks for looking, H Digs

Attachments

• Weeks finds.png
    Weeks finds.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 1942 Mercury Dime.png
    1942 Mercury Dime.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 77
  • !942 Mercury Dime II.png
    !942 Mercury Dime II.png
    347.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring is coming!

When the winter wind blows; I dream of hunting places like this!

Attachments

• Ghost Town Ice Snow.jpg
    Ghost Town Ice Snow.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the midwest USA. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread