TRX battery contact problems??

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a new TRX mid summer last year I put a 9V battery in it and it worked great, at the end of the season I took the battery out for the winter. I just bought a new 9V battery and put it in the TRX to get it ready for this season but it did not work the the new battery was not making good contact with the terminals in the TRX. I folded over a piece of duct tape and taped it to the bottom of the 9V battery so that when I screwed the cap on I was hoping it would put pressure on the battery to push it tighter onto the contacts in the TRX. This did not solve the problem either. I took the TRX apart and slightly bent to battery contact up then put it back together and reinstalled the new 9V battery. This did the trick the TRX is now working as it should.

Is this a common problem with the TRX? I never had this problem with my old Garrett pro2. Or maybe the TR is picky about the brand battery? I think last year I used a Duracell battery, this year I ended up with an Energizer battery. Maybe there is a difference in size or battery terminal design??

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem with my TRX. I made a plastic spacer from a pill bottle cap. Problem solved.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a plastic piece that came with the pointer that slips over the rear of the battery b4 u put the cap back on. I believe this is the spacer.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a plastic piece that came with the pointer that slips over the rear of the battery b4 u put the cap back on. I believe this is the spacer.
Yes. But it is a little short.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep your eye open for an old flashlight and take the spring out.

OP
OP
roccus

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I do have the 9V adapter I use and I have never dropped it. Next time I get my hands on a Duracell I will take some measurements to see if there is a difference for now bending the terminal tabs up a bit is working. I was just wondering if this has been a problem with these other than that I like it very much, the only improvement I can see that would be nice would be the addition of a second button to change sensitivity settings.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats a 9v battery??:laughing7:
use Rechargeable AAs There is a round cap thingy that I think goes over the 9v and sits on top of the AA holder. There is a small round pieces of foam rubber glued to the top to make everything tight when the cap is screwed on.. That was rather trashed on mine which caused intermittent battery problems. I just cut a little piece off the end of the foam I use for the window AC and double faced taped it to the cap thing
This is what it looked like new

Battery_holder.jpg

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found I needed to put a quarter or similar under the cap of my pro-pointer to give extra pressure for it to function properly.
luvsdux

OP
OP
roccus

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I got the adapter for the AA bateries with my TRX and I did buy it now off of Amazon...

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I got the adapter for the AA bateries with my TRX and I did buy it now off of Amazon...
If you didn't get the adapter call Whites and I bet they will send you one.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the adapter in both ways

OP
OP
roccus

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all info guys!! :notworthy:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Try the adapter in both ways

My 9v adapter only works one way. One weak point with that adapter is the foam button. It decays in battery changes. Yours coulda even dropped off completely.

I ended up putting a large Mexican coin in as a spacer between the 9V battery and the spacer after noticing the foam button going bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roccus

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 9v adapter only works one way. One weak point with that adapter is the foam button. It decays in battery changes. Yours coulda even dropped off completely.

I ended up putting a large Mexican coin in as a spacer between the 9V battery and the spacer after noticing the foam button going bad.

I see that, there is just a small round piece of foam on the adapter and on the bottom of the cap would have been way better to have used a spring like in the old flash light caps or at least rubber that would not break down as much....

OP
OP
roccus

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came up with what I hope will be a permanent fix for the battery contact problem. I went to dollar store bought a cheep flash light cut the spring down a bit and it works well... maybe this is how Whites should have built these as the little pieces of foam they use will surly fail over time as the foam decompresses with age.

trx1_zpsisd1vwgg.jpg

trx2_zpssotnhxs6.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread