MX Sport inquiry regarding old problems

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, I've somehow made up my mind to get an MX Sport as my first metal detector, saw some good reviews on youtube, and a lot of comparisons, and seems like it's a good product cause it's also hybrid for water, until I did some more researches and found out that it has leaking and cracking issues, and read a statement from white that it acknowledged the problem and was working to fix it....i noticed post from around sept 2016, today if i get one, does anyone knows if these issues have been really fixed or not ? do they have like a new batch ? i need to make sure because I'm willing to buy this in mexico from supposedly a retailer wish honnor the warranty in their shop "masterdetector.com.mx", and i wouldn't like to hit an older model that was laying in stock.
I was also tempted by the minelab excalibur 2, but they too seem to have a reccuring problem with the headphones and/or the base of the wire where it hook to the main unit.
Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi there, I don't yet own a mx sport but I do believe that all the kinks have been worked out, there is now a promotion on from Whites. When you buy a mx sport you now get the waterproof headphones as standard. Make sure your dealer knows this before placing the order.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, I don't yet own a mx sport but I do believe that all the kinks have been worked out, there is now a promotion on from Whites. When you buy a mx sport you now get the waterproof headphones as standard. Make sure your dealer knows this before placing the order.

Thanks for letting me know.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both detectors so feel qualified to speak to both. If you are going to do mainly salt beach/surf hunting - get the Excal II. Every detector is going to have wear and tear issues. I have not encountered the issues with the connections. If you treat the detector well, it will treat you well. Not a great terrestrial detector off the beach, though. If, on the other hand, you want a good terrestrial detector that doesn't mind getting wet and can provide passable salt water performance, the MX Sport is a good all around detector and it appears that Whites has addressed the initial quality/design/manufacturing issues. HTH

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both detectors so feel qualified to speak to both. If you are going to do mainly salt beach/surf hunting - get the Excal II. Every detector is going to have wear and tear issues. I have not encountered the issues with the connections. If you treat the detector well, it will treat you well. Not a great terrestrial detector off the beach, though. If, on the other hand, you want a good terrestrial detector that doesn't mind getting wet and can provide passable salt water performance, the MX Sport is a good all around detector and it appears that Whites has addressed the initial quality/design/manufacturing issues. HTH

I think I'd like the versatility of the mxsport for now, as i still have a long way to go while learning, so different type of terrains will definitely be a plus for the meantime. btw i noticed it comes with a factory 10' DD coil, would you consider this a suitable option to start with ? or should i buy myself an extra coil, they offer 13' DD, 7 'DD, 9.5' regular, and a 6.5' elliptical.....as far my knowledge goes, smaller = better discrimination/suitable for smaller areas in trashy conditions and bigger = more coverage... is depth affected by either options ? and how about recovery speed on targets ? could u advise please ? thank you

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I do not have the "Sport", but something much like it, the AT Pro, and the factory 10" should be a really all around coil, as far as an extra coil, the 6.5 would be my first choice for a second coil to have, you are right, for trashy areas, and you really do not lose that much depth, and in parks etc. you really cannot dig a pit, sometimes smaller is better, something larger than the 10" might work very well for fields and in some woods, more so when you cannot get the coil close to the ground. Work with the detector for awhile to understand what it is telling you with the 10" DD, and you will find that if you should buy the 6.5, you really will like it. Other coils can always come later. Good luck with the "Sport", should be a dandy machine.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I do not have the "Sport", but something much like it, the AT Pro, and the factory 10" should be a really all around coil, as far as an extra coil, the 6.5 would be my first choice for a second coil to have, you are right, for trashy areas, and you really do not lose that much depth, and in parks etc. you really cannot dig a pit, sometimes smaller is better, something larger than the 10" might work very well for fields and in some woods, more so when you cannot get the coil close to the ground. Work with the detector for awhile to understand what it is telling you with the 10" DD, and you will find that if you should buy the 6.5, you really will like it. Other coils can always come later. Good luck with the "Sport", should be a dandy machine.

I'll give it a go as u said, and see how it goes...... I need to contact first the dealer here in mexico as he's not advertising the free waterproof headphones on the base unit opposed to White's website offer....Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, I've somehow made up my mind to get an MX Sport as my first metal detector, saw some good reviews on youtube, and a lot of comparisons, and seems like it's a good product cause it's also hybrid for water, until I did some more researches and found out that it has leaking and cracking issues, and read a statement from white that it acknowledged the problem and was working to fix it....i noticed post from around sept 2016, today if i get one, does anyone knows if these issues have been really fixed or not ? do they have like a new batch ? i need to make sure because I'm willing to buy this in mexico from supposedly a retailer wish honnor the warranty in their shop "masterdetector.com.mx", and i wouldn't like to hit an older model that was laying in stock.
I was also tempted by the minelab excalibur 2, but they too seem to have a reccuring problem with the headphones and/or the base of the wire where it hook to the main unit.
Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

The Excal problems with headphones and coils wires going into the control housing are 99% of the time caused by customers mounting their detector on their waist, the constant flexing of the cables when sweeping causes shorts. The next most common problem with the excals are the o-rings drying out over time, they should be replaced every 2-3 years.

Owners need to wash their detector with hot water after every hunt, cold showers at the beach does not wash all the salt residue off the detector, hot water will. Mine take a hot shower with me every time when I return home after a hunt.

Owners should also spray the cables ever so many hunts with a silicone spray (non-petroleum based) let it sit on cables for about 10 mins then wipe off the excess. Silicone spray helps protect the cables from the UV rays. I use McNett Silicone spray... https://www.google.com/search?q=Mcn....69i57j0l2.10703j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal problems with headphones and coils wires going into the control housing are 99% of the time caused by customers mounting their detector on their waist, the constant flexing of the cables when sweeping causes shorts. The next most common problem with the excals are the o-rings drying out over time, they should be replaced every 2-3 years.

Owners need to wash their detector with hot water after every hunt, cold showers at the beach does not wash all the salt residue off the detector, hot water will. Mine take a hot shower with me every time when I return home after a hunt.

Owners should also spray the cables ever so many hunts with a silicone spray (non-petroleum based) let it sit on cables for about 10 mins then wipe off the excess. Silicone spray helps protect the cables from the UV rays. I use McNett Silicone spray... https://www.google.com/search?q=Mcn....69i57j0l2.10703j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

True that treasure hunter, as a diver, I'm aware of so called best practices regarding the equipment long term maintenance, but I didn't thought for a minute that people who complains about these issues would be really this careless about it......i believe it's common sense so I didn't expect to see so many bad reviews when it's all about users misusage. Thanks for clarifying that.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MX Sport is worthless on wet saltwater sand, and in the saltwater. It is a single frequency VLF machine. They ALL suck on saltwater beaches. :skullflag:

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i catched up with your other reply Terry, big thanks.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I recall that you've used the Excal II for land detecting. I haven't had much luck with it on dry land other than dry beach. But also have not given it much of a chance since I have plenty of capable dry land detectors and only two suitable for salt beach/surf (the Excal and my ATX). Would you recommend the Excal II as a good all around (i.e., land and sea) detector for a less experienced detectorist or go with a more traditional detector such as the MX Sport. Another drawback I see with the Excal is fewer coil options. Thoughts?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal works on land, I used mine for a year on land before buying a land detector, I do not recommend it as an all around detector, it is too heavy as an all around detector in my opinion..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Excal works on land,

We have a member here who exclusively uses the Excal on dirt, and it's a good danged machine - BBS technology with 17 frequencies analyzing the soil beneath you. It's old and proven technology. Sound machine with zero target ID - why would you depend on that exclusively anyway?

I've been very worried about my cabling on my Excal. I buy a lot of silicone grease, I rinse it after each hunt and smear on the silicone - it's an "investment" and let's keep Excal Great. There's no way I'd hip mount it. It's all about attention to detail on the tools we use.

Keep them completely up to their capability and longevity!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a member here who exclusively uses the Excal on dirt, and it's a good danged machine - BBS technology with 17 frequencies analyzing the soil beneath you. It's old and proven technology. Sound machine with zero target ID - why would you depend on that exclusively anyway?

I've been very worried about my cabling on my Excal. I buy a lot of silicone grease, I rinse it after each hunt and smear on the silicone - it's an "investment" and let's keep Excal Great. There's no way I'd hip mount it. It's all about attention to detail on the tools we use.

You can buy McNett Silicone spray and spray it on the cables let set about 10 mins and wipe off any excess. I spay mine about every 4-6 hunts.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well so far as my researches goes, i was tempted by the excal, but for the price my dealer offers it here, i don't think I'll take that, 29900 mxn pesos = 1630 usd + an extra battery 3790 pesos = 207$ usd for a total of 1837$ if i go on long camping trips, I can always recharge it with my power bank hooked up to my portable solar panel. I haven't bought yet a pinpointer, pouch, a sand scoop, so it's escalating quiclly. i emailed them to ask the price for the CZ21 wish is not advertised on their fisher product page to see. I've read that some guys uses ni-mh rechargable 9v batteries on it, so that will sure save some bucks for daily usage, also sent an email to fisherlab to know if i could use lithium batteries instead, I don't know if the device could handle the extra 2.4v combined. will keep you updated, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can buy McNett Silicone spray and spray it on the cables let set about 10 mins and wipe off any excess. I spay mine about ever 6-8 hunts.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
well so far as my researches goes, i was tempted by the excal,

I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase an Excal or other bases strictly on what my experience has been. I'm old and just really like what the multi-frequency detectors tell me.

When I returned to the hobby after a 25 year absense, I knew what I liked from my previous experience, and them days all we had was the sound of the signal as our coil passed over a target.

That's the major reason I went Minelab and the multi-frequency detectors = I could hear far more about the target I'm swinging over.

It's not like I'm kinda somebody with a great many treasure discoveries. I find things which delight me, and that's always a plus on a day out. I'll never get rich what I'm doing, but I always have a great time when I'm out there digging.

If you're getting out there twice or more a week, you're exceeding my adventures.

If you look you will find, and get to know what your magic wand is telling you :)

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase an Excal or other bases strictly on what my experience has been. I'm old and just really like what the multi-frequency detectors tell me.

When I returned to the hobby after a 25 year absense, I knew what I liked from my previous experience, and them days all we had was the sound of the signal as our coil passed over a target.

That's the major reason I went Minelab and the multi-frequency detectors = I could hear far more about the target I'm swinging over.

It's not like I'm kinda somebody with a great many treasure discoveries. I find things which delight me, and that's always a plus on a day out. I'll never get rich what I'm doing, but I always have a great time when I'm out there digging.

If you're getting out there twice or more a week, you're exceeding my adventures.

If you look you will find, and get to know what your magic wand is telling you :)
my choice won't be made only by what other tells me, but i also take experience in consideration. So if I'm starting with a water machine, then I'll also use it for eventual dive trips, and that puts the bar between the excal or cz21 (discrimination), later on if I'm able to dig good finds, I'll get a proper land MD, but at least it won't be for nothing as it will suit my diving hobby too. for now I'm trying to figure out whether the dealer in my area has to abide by the company suggested sale price cause it should be around 1500$ and he's asking for 180$ more. who in their right mind would pay 207$ for a small spare a battery.....will see how it goes.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cz21 at the dealer cost 1470$ usd...... i think I'll get a quote from the US directly and see if there's any difference

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread