Relic hunting in Va

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to figure out what the. Best detector for relics (mosy) is in Virginia. I was told that Va has "hot" ground and I couldn't go wrong with a Whites. I have only had whites detectors in the past so I do not have any comparisons. Price range is around $1500. Any thoughts? I have been reading allot of posts and don't hear much about whites.

Sent from my LG-M430 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
H

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops, prematurely hit enter. Maybe I missed something but I'm not sure where he is hunting. Although I do like the tones of the Deus. The person that recommended Whites runs the Northern Va Relic Hunting Association. It is the same throughout the members of the association that Whites is the way to go in Va. Is there any truth to this or do they all have stock in Whites Inc.? Thats the real question I am trying to figure out I guess. I have noticed an abundance of "hot rocks" when I've detected in more mountainous terrain.

lv2sign804

Jan 5, 2013
Gloucester
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a pro, but can tell you that Whites is a good detector. My husband and I both hunt in VA. We both have a whites (older models) as well as a couple others. My husband uses a Fisher and a Whites.. His fall back detector is a 15 yo Whites and always digs something really cool. I use mostly a Garrett AT Gold and love it, but also have a whites, another Garrett and a Bounty Hunter . They will all find something cool, it's just a matter of personal preference and the type of terrain you hunt. For fields or woods, any of them will work. On beaches, my AT Pro doesn't do as well, but my old Whites does great. I hope my input helped and good luck with whatever you choose.

OP
OP
H

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks allot! Now I really don't know what to get! Lol! I guess it's time to do some comparison shopping and see if any one detector jumps out at me. This is all probably a waste of effort anyway as I can barely find enough time to fart much less metal detect. Even if I do go out I'll probably feel so guilty that I am shirking responsibilities I won't even have a good time. I know, I sound like Eeyore. Woe is me!

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you are looking for mainly relics, go with a pulse induction such as the TDI series. The only down fall with those is there there is no discrimination. They are deep though.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the MXT for relic hunting, with the right coil the depth is as good as any. With some time on an MXT and the right coil it would be hard to beat. HH

OP
OP
H

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah thats kinda the direction I was heading. I don't think I need the lasest and greatest and I don't really have any sites I need a PI detector where I would want to dig everything. I have hit plenty of targets when I had my XLT E Series that were almost past my ability to dig. I was looking at the V3i but with the amount of time I will probably have to hunt I could probably get a pretty good deal on a used MXT or new one for that matter and save a couple of bucks. I think it all boils down to being in the right place to begin with. Doing the research to make sure your hunting in the right place is probably more important than the detector. I really haven't found much over 6 inches deep that I probably find with a bounty hunter. Sorry if I offwnded any bounty hunter swingers out there!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Tesoro Tejon. It goes deep, is well balanced and is within the budget. Not sure how it would work in your area.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had started with a bounty hunter I probably wouldn't still be detecting today, I try and run +2 gain EMI permitting and can get dimes at 10"+ with a few being at a full 12" before. I can go to a park that's been pounded since the 70's and still pull deep wheats and silver, there all 10"+ deep and most don't detect there anymore but I only dig the real deep whisper targets to keep from digging clad or newer trash wasting my time. I've detected with people that have the V3i and the E-Trac and the MXT is every bit as deep. HH
Yeah thats kinda the direction I was heading. I don't think I need the lasest and greatest and I don't really have any sites I need a PI detector where I would want to dig everything. I have hit plenty of targets when I had my XLT E Series that were almost past my ability to dig. I was looking at the V3i but with the amount of time I will probably have to hunt I could probably get a pretty good deal on a used MXT or new one for that matter and save a couple of bucks. I think it all boils down to being in the right place to begin with. Doing the research to make sure your hunting in the right place is probably more important than the detector. I really haven't found much over 6 inches deep that I probably find with a bounty hunter. Sorry if I offwnded any bounty hunter swingers out there!

OP
OP
H

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after much thought and deliberation I found a used V3i on ebay with the battery packs and wireless headphones for $700. It was a demo that has "Vision" instead of "Spectra" silkscreened on the side. That was because of trademark issues during pre-production from what I am told. The software is updated to V3i. I think thats pretty cool that I will own a very unique machine. At least that's what I hope! We'll see..

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good call on the V3i! My go-to detector for relics is usually a Deus, I will then go back over the site again with the V3 to get the deeper stuff out.

OP
OP
H

hgoddin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capture+_2017-11-06-12-36-09_2.png I'm not sure if I am posting this correctly but I wanted to show what the V3i looks like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread