Straight shaft on the All Pro

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn’t really liking the balance of the MXT compared to my lightweight detectors so I pulled the straight middle shaft off of my Teknetics and put it on the MXT. I was amazed at how it changed the balance and makes it feel lighter in the hand. I’m heading out tomorrow to hit an old house place with lots of nails and tin so I am anxious to see how it does. IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the bent shafts because it makes it a little harder to get water in the control box, watch out liftiing the coil to high if you submerge your coil in water. I can't remember what part but it might be in the bend that has a plug in it to help prevent that from happening, it might be in the straight part that comes out of the control box but I can't remember for sure but with the bent piece you would have to lift it pretty high to get the water towards the control box. Some people put the bent part upside down from how it's supposed to go if you look at some on the White's website it shows the proper way it's supposed to go. HH

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to believe that straight shafts are better since detector companies go to the expense and trouble to put a bend in the rod. WHY?

tabman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to believe that straight shafts are better since detector companies go to the expense and trouble to put a bend in the rod. WHY?

tabman

I agree. Unless you change the location of the box for better balance it’s the same weight your swinging. Could change you grip angle a bit too.

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it’s more that it changes the pivot point for the balance. I hunted for several hours on Thursday and it felt great even though it’s twice as heavy as my teknetics.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There has to be a reason that detector companies use the S-Rod instead of the straight rod.

tabman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think some things are mind over matter. If you think it’s better, well then, I guess it was worth while investing in it. Its definitely questionable or everyone would have one. I do like straight shafts on weedeaters but that’s because it seems easier to edge with it when you turn it sideways. But, it definitely doesn’t make it lighter and I don’t want to use it any longer. 🤣

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some prefer straight rods, some prefer S-rods. It depends on many factors including your height, build, how long you extend your shaft, etc. The main advantage to the S-rod is that the position of you arm is a couple inches lower while swinging, which can improve comfort with many people, and slightly reduce strain on certain arm and back muscles for certain body types (source: my physical therapist). S-rods are especially nice for swinging up inclines/hills. Personally, I use the s-rod on my MXT. I'm average height, have a short torsoe, and I hunt a lot of hillsides, so it works best for me. I also tried the straight rod during one session and found my arm unusually strained and upper back hurting soon after. My buddy, who also has an MXT, prefers the straight shaft. He is 6'4" and uses the extra long shaft. He hated the s-rod. You have to try both to know which one feels right to you. I also suspect that s-rods have more of an ergonomic impact on heavier detectors like the MXT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread