TDI Beach Hunter already going back for repairs

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm going to just run it till it stops, based on the reply I got from White's.
"Certainly we can take another look at it. however, some minor condensation is normal. That's why most underwater cases are NOT clear. If it continues to function, and you can not actually see water rolling around in the case, it is fine. If it stopped functioning, or you can see water rolling around inside, then it does have an issue."

Apparently, fogging up the inside to the point of water droplets forming is no cause for concern. Sure.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your problems buddy. I am considering getting one of these machines too. I read you did a battery mod, are you certain that had nothing to do with this problem?

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did do a battery mod but had the issue with the AA battery pack as well. Not sure why it would be an issue, my mod slides in and out just like the standard battery packs.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
How long does the condensation and moisture stay inside after you’ve gone home? I don’t think it’s a leak. Condensation will naturally occur just like when you put a warm dish in the fridge with Plastic Wrap and a few hrs later moisture has accumulated on the plastic. Same scenario, the inside of the control box is the temp from your car or home, then when it’s submerged in the cool water, the 2 different temps will cause moisture to form. My AT Pro gets moisture build up too and I’ve had it for yrs with not one prob and it’s been in the water almost as much as a fish.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what White's keeps telling me. Not sure how long the moisture sticks around. Haven't watched it that long. I do know that water droplets form inside and it's now worse than it was before when they fixed it the first time and they said it had a bad o ring then. Now I'm told it's normal so I'm just gonna use it till it drops.

Sep 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey the same thing is happening to my tdi Beach hunter. I have not have the unit underwater since last spring. I had not used it for a few months Then took it out yesterday didnt get it wet maby a splash used it for a few hours came home didnt look at it just washed it off with a hose lightly and after i noticed condensation begin to form in the corners of the brain and upon close inspection i can see the corner with the most condensation has the o ring sagging maby a half a centemeter. I think the rubber in the o ring is bad chemistry too many evaporants in the rubber etc . or it may be that they didnt grease the o ring or the box should have four more screws on the corners?

The first week I used the tdi, i learned that the silent search feature was only a feature only works when the brain is above the water. when the brain is underwater it has a threshold tone that does not shut off just like the excalibur 2 which is loud and annoying the only way to stop it is to put the brain in a book bag up high.

Tried it out again did not spray it or anything hunted for a few hours in waist deepwater after a few hours rapid condensation build up in the end of the use. I think the battery could be getting hot as well and maby allowing the brain to form condensation? I may send it back if it starts giving me any more problems. I hope that whites figures a way to correctly fix this issue of a defect in there product.

Any advice and information on the tdi beach hunter would b greatly appreciated. I bought the beach hunter because I have a 20 year old whites classic sl it has never had a problem so i figured whites was still making really good stuff but the condensation is not good if they can put a man on the moon they should be able to fix this.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Certainly we can take another look at it. however, some minor condensation is normal. That's why most underwater cases are NOT clear. If it continues to function, and you can not actually see water rolling around in the case, it is fine. If it stopped functioning, or you can see water rolling around inside, then it does have an issue."

Uh, no. This is a PI detector with a 450V flyback. It is NOT ok that have moisture in the box. Condensation around the TX components (or the demods) can severely affect performance.

My opinion: Send it back for repair one more time. I would request a new coil that doesn't leak* instead of a gooped-up coil that was probably leaking and you didn't know it. If it still has condensation (aka a leak) then just demand a refund.

*That big 12" DF coil has always had a leak problem. I can't believe they released the TDI-BH with that coil given its history.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my thinking, that any moisture at all on the inside of a box that has all those sensitive electronics is not normal. I went so far as to send pictures through messenger to them with the little beads of water running down the inside of the case and yet they stand their ground. Here is their latest reply.
"Yes, fogging up is normal. The physics are similar to a cold glass of tea, differences in temperature/ humidity between the air inside and the air outside cause fogging / condensation. Water rolling around inside is not normal. Typically, if it is an issue, it causes the metal detector to stop functioning."
My thought is this, they said they did it air test and it passed. That tells me that air does not leak in or out. So either the box was resealed with an extremely high humidity level or it's leaking. I just don't see how moisture can get created on the inside of a sealed box that has nothing but a bit of dry air inside. now if it got resealed with a bunch of moisture inside then yes that could create condensation when it goes from warm to cold and back. Like I said earlier, they told me it had a bad o-ring when I sent it in for its first repair and that that was why there was moisture inside. when I initially sent it in I had only one corner inside the control housing that was fogging up, now I have four corners fogging up with droplets of water, so it's worse yet they say it's okay. since they think moisture on the inside of an electronic control housing is totally normal I'm just going to leave it alone and run it till it fries. It should happen well before the warranty runs out then they can replace all the electronics inside.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent white a screenshot of what you said about pi detectors and this was their response.

"If you can change the laws of physics (condensation on a glass of ice tea) then your better than us! Like I said prior, if it continues to function normally, and there is no water rolling around inside, then it does not have service / repair issue."

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, if you seal up the case on a humid day then the air in the case will have moisture. The normal process for dealing with this is to put 1 or 2 desiccant packs inside the case, they will absorb the residual humidity and things should be fine. Either they didn't put desiccant packs in your unit, or it has a leak. BTW, look for micro-cracks around each screw on the clear lid. The BH case has a history of this problem.

The Oregon valley can be a very wet place especially during the winter months. However, White's has a walk-in low-temp oven for drying coils where TDI-BH units could be placed for an hour to dry out, and then sealed. On cold wet winter mornings I would sometimes walk inside the oven for 5 minutes to get warm.

Dino - UK

Jun 16, 2004
North Devon coast, UK.
Yes, if you seal up the case on a humid day then the air in the case will have moisture. The normal process for dealing with this is to put 1 or 2 desiccant packs inside the case, they will absorb the residual humidity and things should be fine. Either they didn't put desiccant packs in your unit, or it has a leak. BTW, look for micro-cracks around each screw on the clear lid. The BH case has a history of this problem.

The Oregon valley can be a very wet place especially during the winter months. However, White's has a walk-in low-temp oven for drying coils where TDI-BH units could be placed for an hour to dry out, and then sealed. On cold wet winter mornings I would sometimes walk inside the oven for 5 minutes to get warm.

I've noticed on the last couple of hunts with my TdiBH that i have a slight fogging on the inside top corners. Now I'm undecided whether to get in touch with Whites.
Its never had a problem with this in the past and Ive had it 13 months now. I don't use it underwater, but the weather has been wet of late and of course colder.
I may well sit the unit on a radiator for a few minutes without the battery pack in and with the rubber clamp off.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the machine was sent back again. This time because the machine would not function with the pulse delay in any other position but on 10 or 25. Anything in between would produce a non stop false signals. I called them, White's, to see if the TDI was finished with repair and was told it was shipped out. I inquired what the issue was and they told me the tech could find nothing wrong with the machine, but that they were sending me a brand new machine. There is no way that there was nothing wrong with it. I have video proof of the thing non stop falsing but they were not interested in seeing it. Someone recently pointed out to me that in one of my pictures the sticker looks like it may be hiding a crack in the case. Sure does look like it to me too. No way to say now for sure as a new machine is on the way and White's is keeping the old one. I'm ok with that. I did end up buying a new (used) Garrett Infinium LS as a back up and struck gold in back to back hunts with it. KIMG1575.JPG

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of the possible crack in the case under the sticker. KIMG1304.JPG

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to the video where you can hear what it is doing. Starts at 7:19.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I thought I had a bucket lister with it. Always wanted a big engagement ring loaded with diamonds. So I was dying when i saw it and then died a bit more when I put the diamond tester to it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks. I thought I had a bucket lister with it. Always wanted a big engagement ring loaded with diamonds. So I was dying when i saw it and then died a bit more when I put the diamond tester to it.

It’s a beautiful ring!! Probably worth quite a bit by the size of that diamond.

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad they are sending you a new one. I'm the guy that pointed out that sticker crack. Looks like whites agrees! Funny thing my machine is building condensation now as well. Only the third trip out with the unit.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread