Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my fellow T'Netters. I bought my M6 about 4 months ago and have had nothing but great times with it. I have been using the stock setup right out of the box with a Bullseye II pinpointer as well. I really have only hunted a few areas (my old elementary school that's been around since 1930 and an older 1930's house) and I have had great results but I have found these areas are quite trashy. So far I have been out 7 times and found about 200 or so clad coins but only one Wheat, a 1915. I know there has to be older and deeper coins out there, but with the trash in these places, it makes it kinda hard to get a good signal.

I have exclusive access to both of these areas but I remember about 15 years ago when I was in elementary school I always saw people out metal detecting at the school. I'm a firm believer that an area is never "hunted out", but all I have found so far at the school was the lone Wheat and a bunch of clad. I know there has to be silver and Wheats and even older stuff out there because the school's playground has been there since 1930.

I feel quite confident with my detector and I pretty much know what its telling me when I hit a signal. Also, I realize that I will learn something new about my detector everytime I hunt. I find clad ALL the time at the school but I guess I'm getting a little discouraged about not finding silver or any Wheats. So that leads me to my question, OK I guess I have a few:

Am I doing something wrong?
Would a new coil help me in the trashy areas?
Should I give up and find new places?

Also I would like to know if any M6 owners have any of the optional coils that White's offers and what they think of them. Just a brief description of the coils will do but if you want to elaborate on your thoughts feel free to do so.

Thanks,
Codes

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use only the 5.3 eclipse coil on mine and I love it..its great in trashy areas, I can get super close to fencing... I wont leave home without it...infact, I use the same coil on dfx as well..

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootybay said:
I use only the 5.3 eclipse coil on mine and I love it..its great in trashy areas, I can get super close to fencing... I wont leave home without it...infact, I use the same coil on dfx as well..

What's the depth of the 5.3 coil?

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug 10-12 inches with that coil.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Codes said:
Am I doing something wrong?
Would a new coil help me in the trashy areas?
Should I give up and find new places?

Hi Codes: I haven't found any jewelry with my M6 yet, so I know how you feel. I would try the Eclipse Shooter DD (4x6) Search Coil if I were you. And fellow forum member NC-Joe says "the 4.5x7 (EXcellerator) is super deep and gets around trash like nothing else."
Why not look for sites that are less hunted out? HH

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best peice of jewelry I found was a thick sterling mens chain, ( tiffany it is) and weighs 43 grams..or was it 34 grams..I still have it...and I was using the 5.3 coil.

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a M6 also. I use the 5.3 when it is trashy. One way too get the layers below the trash is too dig all targets to clean an area out and then go to your 9-inch coil for more depth and possibly older coins. This is time consuming and you should grid and area off for best results.

I have found a dozen silver coins and a silver ring at my old middle school that was built in the early 50's. I have had good luck searching the outer lying areas that most hunters seem to ignore. Over 50 wheats have also been found.

I also use the 12-inch coil when an area is not too trashy. I have found alot of things that the 9 incher passed over(By me and my brother also with a M6) without a good signal. And later(third pass in an area approx 30x50) with a DFX it produced another 15 wheats,merc dime and standing quarter.

I guess the thing to do is be patient. My brother and I have had the best results with turning disc knob a little left of #1 factory recommended setting and sens as far up as it will go and be stable.

Good luck.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
seatedhalf said:
I have a M6 also. I use the 5.3 when it is trashy. One way too get the layers below the trash is too dig all targets to clean an area out and then go to your 9-inch coil for more depth and possibly older coins. This is time consuming and you should grid and area off for best results.

I have found a dozen silver coins and a silver ring at my old middle school that was built in the early 50's. I have had good luck searching the outer lying areas that most hunters seem to ignore. Over 50 wheats have also been found.

I also use the 12-inch coil when an area is not too trashy. I have found alot of things that the 9 incher passed over(By me and my brother also with a M6) without a good signal. And later(third pass in an area approx 30x50) with a DFX it produced another 15 wheats,merc dime and standing quarter.

I guess the thing to do is be patient. My brother and I have had the best results with turning disc knob a little left of #1 factory recommended setting and sens as far up as it will go and be stable.

Good luck.
Hi Halfseated. Congratulations to you and your brother! Sounds like you two are like really serious coin shooters! "Turn the discrimination knob a little to the left of #1 preset", huh? I shoulda known! :tongue3: Anyways, super advise from a real pro. Thank you very much. HH

R

RUDY2003

I have the 4x6 DD coil and love it. I think for me it works better than the stock 9 inch coil.
Seatedhalf is right about the Disc. knob, turn about halfway between 0 and 1 for best results.
Most importantly with the 4x6 coil, GO VERY SLOW. I can't emphasize that enough. The slower the better. Yea it takes longer to search some areas but its worth it.

Good Huntin'....

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First try going after a good rain the moisture will help the signals.. 4x6 or 5.3 depends on you mineralization.. 4x6 DD for mineralized and for low mineralization the 5.3..
I use the seven tones mode for all my hunting(trigger in the forward position)..
Ground balance in auto trac then locked..
I been running with discrimination just below nickel so I get a signal from VDI# 0 on up.. Remember at the fringes of detection the VDI will read lower than the target actually is... I dig everything 0 on up except when I get a few tabs I'll run the detector over them and remember the VDI #...
Sensitivity up to falsing then back down a bit..(Note the sensitivity once past about 70 will not gain depth its just more SENSITIVE to smaller targets..)
Nickels on my 2 M-6's are 18 or 20 on the VDI.. Above that they are usually tabs.. Here's some VDI# I tested VDI 18-20 nickels, VDI 47 $5 dollar gold, VDI 50 3 cent silver, VDI 77 2 cent pieces..
The coils I have are 4x6DD (which I want to trade for a 5.3 as the ground doesn't warrant a DD here), 6x10 DD (great separation and ground coverage and just a 1" or so less depth than the stock) 9.5 standard great all around, Super 12" One of my favorite not much difference on smaller items than stock (Nickel about a inch), but on bigger (quarters about 2" more) halves and dollars is where it stands out 3-4" more than stock..
When picking through trash attack it at a few different angles and when you hear a sweet one grab the pinpoint trigger right over the target and it will kinda of lock on the target and help ignore the rest.. I really don't have to much of a problem picking good targets in the trash with the stock or the Super 12"
One other point I'd like to make is when your done sweeping a area at low discrimination go back over it with high discrimination as sometimes it will unmask coins it didn't see because of the trash..
Best of luck and I hope it helps..
Ray

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cosmic,

A lot of the older deeper nickels move up the VDI scale. I find them in the high 40 to low 50 range quite often. Be careful about only digging 18-20.

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info guys! I just got my taxes done and I'm going to buy the 5.3 coil as soon as I get my money!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread