High Tension Wires and the DFX

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the weekend I hit a site next to railroad tracks that have power lines over them for the trains. I've read about others getting interference with high tension wires but I did not think the train wires would give off enough energy to affect the DFX since I was a little distance away but I was wrong. I was receiving lots of interference and false signals. Is there any way to adjust the DFX settings to low the interference? Even if it gives up a little sensitivity or depth I would really like to hunt this site. Old stage coach stop.

Thanks in advance for your input.

NJ

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turn down the gain, turn down the sensitivity.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is about the only thing you can do except install a lot smaller coil. Sometines cell phones can do the same thing.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:

This is about the only thing you can do except install a lot smaller coil. Sometines cell phones can do the same thing.

Thanks...already had a 5 inch coil on it.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What ReidMan said. I'd also try Correlate might help to. :thumbsup:

united

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2006
East Rockaway,N.Y.
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
This one beach that I hunt at has a buried high voltage line. When I was mding the area for the first time with the DFX it went crazy- I thought it was broken . I did a hard boot but nothing worked, I just kept away from the area or run past it. Last month, I was walking the water line with mixed mode on, and walked right by the area and found a quarter! barely any interference, maybe you can try that.. HH Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread