Ancient Coins Found in WI

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
fib, I referred to one particular archy. The State Historical Society archy is not the DNR archy but the current DNR archy takes his cues from him. The last couple did not. Understand, I'm not slamming all in the profession and I'd love to work a site with them and cooperate in investigating our history. The problem arises from those that have become political and joined the buracracy.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Bubba,
Ok, I am a bit confused. Is it then the DNR or the state Archy that put in the no MD rule in state parks, etc?
Also, I feel your pain. There are still too many academics who outright reject the idea of a collaboration between avocational and academics on ANY project. But I have seen first hand how that can work and there is (thankfully!) a growing voice in that direction. I am seriously considering not waiting for my professor status and working on a special senior year project that would deal with this head-on. In my personal opinion (dont let the academics see this!), I think that it is both short sighted and stupid not to access the vast resource that is the vocational researcher.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
fib, that was the State Archy. The new rules banning detecting on all navigable waterways and ajacent land was the DNR archy under advice from the State archy. The State archy has been trying for this rule for years and finally got a DNR archy to go along.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Bubba,
Gotcha. I was under the impression from forums on here that it was strictly a DNR rule. If that is an order from the state, it is a different thing altogether. If it is just a DNR rule, it doesnt matter who's advice it was from really. Especially since we are under new leadership. Still, this goes back to what I posted somewhere else (I think) that this "deal" the DNR has up for issue and debate is a bunch more bureaucracy and will ultimately be a waste of time.

And what I propose here is something completely different anyways since a research permit would trump all rules. Granted, depending on the local the State Archy would have to sign off but I dont see a problem with that since it would be under the direction of a university. It is my belief that this route would begin to erode long-held grudges between the groups and open that door for more free detecting on some state lands.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
fib, keep in mind these are regulations, not laws per se. The Governor and legislature have no involvement in creating them or in enforcement. They are put into effect by buracrats that are primarily concerned with expanding their authority. Regardless of credentials those 2 are not professionals and are not behaving like professionals. They are political desk monkeys working only to expand their fiefs and root themselves even deeper into the power structure. As for being under University authority, just how do you think professors and Universities are going to react to working with a high school drop out? Not well, I can assure you. It will remain a pretty exclusive club.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Bubba,
A few things to address. Yes, they are just rules. And, yes, the folks in charge are not acting professionally. And, yes, professors and universities dont care much about high school dropouts (unless they are minorities! lmao).
But
I dont care. And I would be the one leading the research team. And the conference group. And the excavations. I DO care about your demeanor, spirit, and ability to work with others while doing a task effectively. I dont think that will be much of a problem with MDers, but believe me that if anyone wanting to tag along were found out to be a negative person or someone with not much experience, they would be weeded out. I use the term 'negative' here loosely because I dont want to use foul language :)

One more thing: My dad was a high school dropout. He did pretty well for his family despite almost losing the house in the 70s recession. He and mom never were rich, still aren't, but taught my brother and I values and how to respect your fellow man. He also taught us how to whoop some a$$ if someone didnt respect us. Believe me, I do rub elbows with the academic elites. Some of whom you may have seen on Nat Geo, History, Discovery, or nightly news outlets. So what. I have also rubbed elbows with coal miners, Blackfeet and Cherokee, hillbillies in the depths of West Virginia and Kentucky, and even a tradesman or two. I dont walk with a chip on my shoulder nor should anyone on this venture. So dont worry about your past. Its all about who you are now, how you treat others, how well you can research and MD, and who you want to be. And, I suppose, where you would like to see this to go in the future.
Idealistic? Perhaps. But I do have a plan. And I do have my foot in the door. With experience on both sides. And great contacts on the other side. When I get back in the swing this coming school year, I will be pushing this plan until I find a backer. Then two. Then three. Then I will start approaching all of you. The first time might not seem like much. But it will be a monumental bedrock to build upon for the next one. And so on.
Keep hitting me with questions. Start thinking how it may work from your perspective and what, specifically, you want from such a venture. Think big, think small, then hit me with it. The more I have a clear idea of what MDers realistically want, the easier it will be for me to put it in writing for the academics in language they understand.
-e

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread