More North Florida Fort Sites (Spanish Fort and Fort Clarke) - Jefferson County

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
I have had several requests for sites in this area. Here is an interesting one. It is an unidentified Spanish Fort and has existing ruins.

The first Europeans to enter what was to become Jefferson County were the members of Panfilo de Narvaez's expedition. They passed through an Apalachee town in 1528. In the 17th century, the Franciscans administered five missions in the county along an east-west line near what would become U.S. Highway 27. I believe this is one of them. These missions were destroyed at the beginning of the 18th century by the English governor of South Carolina in retaliation against Spanish depredations. When American settlers entered the county in the 19th century, the land was occupied not by the Apalachees, who had been dispersed when the missions were abandoned, but by Miccosukees, a branch of the Creeks who became part of the Seminole group.

Goldcoastwayne

The coordinates are: 30 22.60'N, 84 01.58'W

Attachments

• Unidentified Spanish Fort - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    Unidentified Spanish Fort - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 998
  • Unidentified Spanish Fort#1 - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    Unidentified Spanish Fort#1 - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 995
OP
OP
goldcoastwayne

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
Re: More North Florida Fort Sites - Jefferson County

This is the site of Fort Clarke, a fort that was established in 1839. This location is unconfirmed, but are the only ruins in the area. Near the road appears to be a small cemetery, that is likely very old. Perimeter areas will likely produce some nice relics.

A little more history about the area.... Jefferson County was separated from Leon County in 1827. The county, named for Thomas Jefferson, was established January 6, 1827. Monticello, named for Jefferson's Virginia home, was named county seat before statehood, while Florida was a territory of the United States. Monticello remains the county's only incorporated city.

Goldcoastwayne

The coordinates are: 30 16.03'N, 83 51.02'W

Attachments

• Fort Clarke - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    Fort Clarke - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 836
  • Fort Clarke#1 - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    Fort Clarke#1 - Jefferson Cnty.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 857

Watchman492

Aug 27, 2013
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting. Thought this was for the old Ft. Clarke site in Gainesville, FL, which I'm attempting to obtain permission from a church that's currently there to detect the site.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
On Newberry Road9SR26) & 91st St in Gainesville,there is a marker for the site of Fort Clarke,which was established by the US Army in 1836 during the Second Seminole War,to provide a safe haven for settlers in the area.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for posting. Thought this was for the old Ft. Clarke site in Gainesville, FL, which I'm attempting to obtain permission from a church that's currently there to detect the site.
Ever detect this site? Thanks

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There were two Fort Clarke's, yours is about 10 miles above the mouth of the Ocilla River and used as a temporary fort during the Florida War.

Fort Clarke: located a few miles wouth of the town of Newansville in Alachua County. It was used as a temporary fort during the Florida War. See: Niles Register, vol 56, pg 386.
Both are found in my Forts, Camps & Batteries of Florida available at Kellyco Metal Detectors. Good Hunting.

shafergdady1

May 24, 2013
NE FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detected this place up down and sideways. Then i got smart looked up and saw the little sign that showed 20+ men with detectors in the 70s-80s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread