Does Google Earth Have Archives? Because....

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the about map overlays....as a matter of fact, I just got some in the mail a few days ago....these overlays are for the entire Northern half of California depicting trails, etc...
I have an area near my home that I am interested in MD, and I found it on Google Map 2010....I went out this morning and studied the area in person to help me better read the Google Map that is being shown to me...
I know that on this parcel of land, there were structures on it....I know this because I remember seeing them about five years ago....and....I was able to see the remnants of previous structures on the map and during my personal visit...however, some of the concrete pads and remnants are a little puzzling to me....
Here is my question: Does Google Map have archives so that I can find out what the last shot of this parcel was with Google? This would eliminate the need for overlays, or perhaps Topo maps...
In a perfect world, I could be seeing the 2010 Google Map shot, and then somewhere on the site, it would reference the last time it was shot, click on it, and voila! Yes...I agree...this isn't a perfect world, and there probably not archives....if this is so, why not get the idea to Google Map?
I am very grateful for the technology the way it is, but necessity is the mother of all inventions, right? I sure hope someone could chime in on this one, and be as blunt as possible with me....I'm a big boy...I can handle it....Thank You! SushiDog

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh! Wow! Thanks sooooooo much!....I will check it out and report back on the board.....SushiDog

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tinkered around with the link, and it was really good....never knew this existed before....this was for Google Earth, and I am not sure if Google Maps has the same technology to go back in time....the site I viewed was able to take me back to 1993, and although this can be a good thing, it was not in this particular case....you sure can see how Google Earth has developed over the years, and it is like night and day....I really appreciate the tip and the link....it helps out a lot! Thank You! Sushidog

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry that did not help. I'm trying to do this from memory. We got new computers at work and they won't let me install google earth. I have a crappy connection at home so I don't even try there. Try the Rumsey overlays as mention here http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-11-13-n81.html

OP
OP
SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh...no...It DID help me, and I thank you so much for the help....I will have to check Google Maps to see if they have this archive technology like in Google Earth....this is another thing you made me realize....Google Earth and Google Map are two different technologies (of sorts), so I really do appreciate the time you took to help me out....Thanks again! SushiDog

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed that there is a google earth plugin for google maps. Click the earth button in the upper right corner. I don't know if you can add the rumsey layers from there though. I'll have to try it at home and see what happens.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this helps some as a last ditch technique. In windows 7 you can use the snip tool (little pair of scissors) to grab a copy of the area in Gmaps or for that matter even a scanned image of any map. Save it and then you can adjust & overlay that on Gearth. You can do a grab of the older images using the time slider and overlay them on the most current image. Save the whole thing when you're done, print a copy to put in your kit & check against your actual observations. Sounds a lot harder & Mickey mouse but works.
I think someone did a tutorial on overlays here on Tnet if not google it up there's several tutorials there.

Hope this gives you another tool for searching researching!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions