Just wanted to see if it was real.Area 51

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I know this is an old topic but I thought I'd add a few words about Groom Lake. I know that there is all this mystery and intrigue about the place, but it isn't really anything special. It was originally built to create top secret aircraft like the U2 spy plane and the F117 stealth bomber. Not to mention several experimental aircraft that just didn't quite work.

After that, the facility was used for underground nuclear weapons testing. This became clear in a 1995 lawsuit when the employees at Groom Lake tried to sue over the adverse effects of being exposed to the fumes from illegal radioactive waste burning.

Sorry. There are no aliens at the base.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You know, I was always pretty upset that they destroyed what looks like a really nice Mustang in that Malcolm in the Middle clip.... >:(

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen_idaho said:
I know this is an old topic but I thought I'd add a few words about Groom Lake. I know that there is all this mystery and intrigue about the place, but it isn't really anything special. It was originally built to create top secret aircraft like the U2 spy plane and the F117 stealth bomber. Not to mention several experimental aircraft that just didn't quite work.

After that, the facility was used for underground nuclear weapons testing. This became clear in a 1995 lawsuit when the employees at Groom Lake tried to sue over the adverse effects of being exposed to the fumes from illegal radioactive waste burning.

Sorry. There are no aliens at the base.

Sorry, but your facts are somewhat askewed.

There was not recently any (as far as anybody knows) nuclear weapons testing done at Area 51. All the nuclear weapons testing was done in the 1940s and 1950s. What is happening now is that the radioactive fallout keeps getting blown up by the wind and weather. They have what they call "HOT" days, where nobody works.

What the lawsuit was about was the fact that Area 51 tests some very state of the art materials. Stuff that only exists there and maybe some very secret laboratories. When those tests are done, you just can't throw that stuff in a dumpster. So..........once or twice a week, they would take this exotic stuff out to a big hole in the desert and burn it. The fumes from those burnings would many times drift back over the base, and cause severe breathing problems for many people. It also was the cause of several types of cancer and horrible skin problems. That was the basis for the lawsuits. The courts ruled that since the base didn't really exist, then there were no grounds for the lawsuit.

As far as aliens go, there are good stories for both sides. I have been as far as the Area 51 border markers in a few places. I have also not seen any alien looking craft flying out there.

Best-Mike

1frozenhillbilly

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2007
ok it occurs to me that if i was the govt. looking to keep secrets a good way to do that would be to propogate rumors of nefarious activity in an unused or little used facility and let the conspiracy mongers keep it going strong while having my actual secret facilities say somewhere in the utah saltflats. just a thought.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When I was in Vegas a few years ago on BIDNESS I really wanted to zip out to Groom Lake and get a picture of me standing next to the warning signs! However, all the stuffed shirts we WAY too CHICKEN to do any such thing. Plus we were just too dang busy to even think about anything else (working a convention). I regret to this day that I didn't stay just an extra day to 'do' area 51 and the dam and whatever else I could stir up. In life you may not regret what you DO as much as what you DON'T! Next time I'm there....

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
pyledriver said:
When I was in Vegas a few years ago on BIDNESS I really wanted to zip out to Groom Lake and get a picture of me standing next to the warning signs! However, all the stuffed shirts we WAY too CHICKEN to do any such thing. Plus we were just too dang busy to even think about anything else (working a convention). I regret to this day that I didn't stay just an extra day to 'do' area 51 and the dam and whatever else I could stir up. In life you may not regret what you DO as much as what you DON'T! Next time I'm there....

Trust me, ya ain't missing much... if you haven't already guessed from this thread all there is to see is a small cafe, a gas station, and a whole lot of desert with a few signs here and there. Honestly it's not even worth the drive. :-\

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Here in the UK, no-one knows where these places are..... :icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• Secret_Bunker.jpg
    Secret_Bunker.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,172

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1frozenhillbilly said:
ok it occurs to me that if i was the govt. looking to keep secrets a good way to do that would be to propogate rumors of nefarious activity in an unused or little used facility and let the conspiracy mongers keep it going strong while having my actual secret facilities say somewhere in the utah saltflats. just a thought.
They say it has been moved to dugway utah. That place is out in the middle of nowhere.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a story I read about this guy who has R/C gliders with cameras on them and he takes pictures of places from the sky with his gliders,well it seemed that someone asked him if he could get any area 51 pictures and he had 2 of his best gliders,one got really good pictures and the other one crashed the closer it got.The pictures that the one got only showed buildings and a runway,but they were better than average.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought everyone knew that the really sensitive stuff is at Wright Patterson AFB. :tongue3:

Uh oh......... here come th

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
1frozenhillbilly said:
ok it occurs to me that if i was the govt. looking to keep secrets a good way to do that would be to propagate rumors of nefarious activity in an unused or little used facility and let the conspiracy mongers keep it going strong while having my actual secret facilities say somewhere in the Utah saltflats. just a thought.

I agree with this line of thinking. The best way to keep someones attention off of the "real" secret sites is to give the impression that this (area 51) IS the real site. The gov't puts on a big show of force and high security and everyone believes they are hiding something there. Makes perfect sense to me, misdirection has to be very convincing and that's what they are doing out there in the desert. I am sure the locals love the business too.

Charlie

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the usaf in NV (Nellis AFB) something like 70% of that state is fed bombing range. I worked on missiles. People get selected to go in there from time to time were I worked and there are different levels of clearance. Even when someone gets "selected" for a project you dont get to explore the place. Lot of underground facilities...Camping in Rachael is amazing though if you like to arrowhead hunt and check out old silver prospecting sites. I saw stuff camping in that part of SN mountains. Dont cross the warning signs though...that is some trouble you dont want. I will say we saw a few things in the NV sky that was strait up freaky and sent people scrambling. I dont prentend to think GL is connected to aliens but I would not be suprised if they check on us every-so-often.

riverrunner814

Feb 14, 2009
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Yes its there. Pulled security there in the 70s. Whats it all about? Well have to leave it all up to imaginations.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, really, E.T'S BIG BROTHER LANDED THERE BACK SOME YEARS AGO AND HE'S STILL THERE TEACHING CLASSES ON METAPHYSICS AND HE PLAYS A MEAN GAME OF NAME THAT ASTEROID! E.T. went home, but his brother Elroy says sticking around for a while longer: The cheeseburgers and fries he's been eating in area 51 beats the heck out of that green martian stew his mother Mildross cooked for him dang near every day! LOL!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions