Cocos Island (land of many a buried treasure legends)

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Re: Coco's Island (land of many a buried treasure legends)

They'll be, what, ::) Expidition Number 301 !
You can't find what's not there !

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006

The book about Cocos Island is "THE LOST TREASURE OF COCOS ISLAND"
BY RALPH HANCOCK and JULIAN A. WESTON

Happy Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SIMON

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

It boils down to:
1..What have you/they got that they, the "300+", didn't have?
2..Are "They" going to the Right "Cocos Islands"? :-\

Remember! That there are atleast "Two" Cocos Islands ! :P
AND!
Both sets, used by Pirates ! 8)

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

i still wanna go there and look my self, and thats probably what all the other expeditioners think, they arent satisfied untill they look them selves.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

That's as it should be!
Never use other TH'ers info/research!
If they didn't/can't find it, the research info they were using, must have be lacking!
That's why some treasure caches will never be found!
All the "ONLY" information available is "General" !
And!
When you're looking for a 4x6' hole, on an island/mnt/desert, etc.
You're going to need alot more than "General" information!
I once, in NM, told some friends where thy could find "A small ( about 2' long) Spanish Treasure Turtle"
That is sitting on the top of a rock ledge, in plain sight!
They gave up and were less than 50 yds from it!
I could see them, looking/walking, thru my binoculars!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The pirate Benito Bonito set off explosives above the cave entrance to the treasure setting off a land slide that buried the cave. There's tons of boulders to remove before getting to the entrance. None of the 300 expeditions to Cocos had any earth moving equipment.

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005

there is a cocos island south of Guam. if you use google earth type in Guam and you won't be able to miss it. its a small body of land that is just south of Guam surrounded by the light blue water. there was allot of Spanish activity in this area in the past. I doubt this is the place the legend speaks of. but who knows. there was allot of pirate activity between Guam and the Philippines.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Amazing, But, :o
iF YOU CHECK FARTHER, YOU'LL FIND THAT THERE WERE PIRATES (Spanish Main Types) IN THAT PART OF THE WORLD!
Black Beard was one of them!

tesoroduck

Jan 3, 2007

mercinarie said:
anybody know of any other island with treasure supposedly buried on them.

Yes, the island of robinson crusoe (juan fernandez), 500 miles west of santiago.

I have been there 7 times since 1999. News of it should be breaking soon.

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007

I remember reading about Cocos Island and pirate treasure when I was a kid in the 1970's. Yes, there are stories of pirate treasure associated with Cocos. One (I can't remember the guy's name) is of a pirate who looted Lima, Peru among other places and Spanish ships. A solid gold Madonna statue (made from melted down Inca artifacts) is supposedly part of the loot. Also, there is a history of failed expeditions to Cocos dating back to the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

i wouldnt be suprised if the islands with the least amount of legends and stories about them have some actual treasure on them, be a good ploy by the pirates hiding their loot.

oceanbeamer

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
PALM COAST . N.E. FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S BEACH HUNTER ID& ACE 250

mercinarie said:
i wouldnt be suprised if the islands with the least amount of legends and stories about them have some actual treasure on them, be a good ploy by the pirates hiding their loot.
WELL since this is my first post,I'll just say that coco's island has the highest shark count of any place on earth,,thats toooo many for me.

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

its ok man because we are talking about treasure on land...arent we ???

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oceanbeamer said:
mercinarie said:
WELL since this is my first post,I'll just say that coco's island has the highest shark count of any place on earth,,thats toooo many for me.

Coco\'s Island.JPG Coco\'s Island (1883).jpg

"Cocos is famous for its hammerhead sharks. A dive site of Manuelita Islet will treat divers to hammerheads, white tips, black tips, many species of rays, turtles, dolphin and even the giant but gentle whale shark. This is a "cleaning station", one of a few at the island. Here hammerheads are approached by cleaner fish, fish who like to eat the parasites off the sharks hence the name cleaning stations. Cocos is also the mating spot for hammerheads, divers can see 1000s of hammerheads swimming around."

I know I'd be a little unnerved by all those hammerhead's!!!

Bran <><

Coco\'s Island Hammerheads.JPG

B

Bosun Dave

Just stumbled across this. I've been to Cococs three times. NASTY place!!! Hotter than hell, rains most of the time, dense jungle and pretty much vertical. If you saw "Jurassic Park" you'd be kinda close. Spiders as big as your hand! And yes, lots of sharks. Not to mention, you have to have clearance by the Coasta Rican government just to set foot on the island. The Rangers stationed there ( I think there were 3 or 4) meet you on the beach with a smile and an M-16.
Happy Hunting,
Bosun Dave

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seph228 said:

Yeah, that looks like a copy of the one I posted... without the reference of the man who drew it up.

Bosun Dave,
I know you have to have the Costa Rican government's permission to set foot on the island; which I don't understand since it's uninhabited (except for those Rangers)??? But aside from that, it's been a while since people used to just go to the island and explore at their own will... but it hasn't been by "permission only" forever. I am curious as to how you gained access to the island yourself? Surely it wasn't the dive trips out there, with those Rangers with assault rifles, was it? I vaguely remember a charter business saying something about diving off the island and then landing on shore to explore around a little before leaving. Funny I've never heard any reports or people talk about those Rangers with guns before? Which brings me back to my question, how did you get on the island???

Bran <><

B

Bosun Dave

Hey Bran,
The last time I was on Cocos was back in '99. I spent 18 years sailing on NOAA research ships. One of our projects was studying whale and dolphin populations in the lower latitudes. When we were in the area we would anchor off Cocos for a little R&R. We would radio the rangers on the island, tell them who we were and what we wanted to do. Because we were a government ship, we could usually get permission to go ashore fairly easily. Even WITH permission there were some places we were not allowed to go. The whole island is a nature preserve and they don't want a bunch of people tramping around. I remember seeing several dive boats in the area. We would anchor on the (North?) side of the island. The water was pretty murky and HUGE sharks would swim past within a couple feet of the ship. I was told they were pretty safe since they were well fed. We'd launch a small boat and head to the beach. You had to wear shoes because the urchins were thick right up to the beach. A really muddy trail led from the beach, through the jungle, and up the side of a steep hill and toward the island interior. The rangers told us that, yes, pirates used to use the island as a layover point and that there had been several attempts to find treasure. Later, some folks tried to establish a colony on the island but it failed after just a couple of years. So, that's about all I know about Cocos. Except, that the best diving seemed to be on the opposite (windward) side of the island. Beautiful coral and clear water but strong winds. Hope this info helps.
Bosun Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions