Anyone in Portland have a boat?

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Looks like a good place that I'm sure doesn't get a lot of detecting due to it's Boat Only access. The Island has history also! The Lewis & Clark Expedition camped on this island on Nov 3, 1805. In the last 1800 to early 1900, there was ferry access to the Island. Still remains of the old docks on the island. The islands picked up the name "Government Island" beginning in February 1850, when the U.S. Government reserved it for military purposes, raising hay for their horses, ect. Looks like you may be able to find some old military artifacts also???

On top of that, this place gets infested by people during the summer months and they camp on the beaches. Check out the overview, look how many boats and tents are up on the shores. Look at the size of some of them boats....maybe lots of jewelry to be found here.

Attachments

• Government Island.kml
    1.3 KB · Views: 424

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ST...I have a boat, but unfortunately I am in Portland, Maine....that island sounds like a great spot to hit. I would also try by the mouth of the Columbia River, with that bar and as many boats and ships that have sunk there in the past few hundred years, there must be some good things just waiting to be found. Not sure if they would allow it or not but how about around Multnomah Falls and Horsetail Falls etc. ? Good luck!!!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ST...I've been on a boat at the mouth of the Columbia, think I will stay here where it isn't so nasty...that is one nasty, rough river when there is a strong ebb and deserves ALOT of respect. Good luck and hope to see alot of posts of your finds...:)

H

hobbitgal

Hi,
I hogline off Blue lake park, always thought Gov. Island would be a great place to go poke around---BUT -- no access allowed to the interior - Just to high watermark on the beaches.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thats what the owner of the property (Port Of Portland) says...Only Beach access.  If you look close, there is a old house built on the island.  I wounder what this is used for (present day), or if it is even used at all?

Here is why I think they say no no to the interior of the island....

"Many threatened or endangered wildlife species live on the island, including red-legged frog, bald eagle, peregrine falcon, pileated woodpecker, little willow flycatcher, olive-sided flycatcher, western meadowlark, horned grebe, red-necked grebe, bufflehead, purple martin, and possibly Columbia white-tailed deer".

Jan 24, 2007
i dont know how old your post is but i am in saint helens not far from portland and i have a boat. would love to get together some day to get over there or any where.
Jeremy

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Stormtrooper,,,I have two boats, but I'm in Florida now. But you should do really good there, I used to waterski that area alot, and beach there and picknic. Like you said there is alot of people that use that island and I've never seen anyone MD it. I sank a boat about 100 feet off the island about 14 years ago, recovered the boat but lost alot of other stuff out of it , so if you fine anything, like my truck keys, let me know. Keep me posted if you do get out there, and hit the jackpot.
capt_t

Dang, why didn't I think about detecting there when I lived out there,,,duh

underc

Dec 13, 2005
Edgewood, WA
I know this is an old post, but did you ever get out there? I live in Washington near Tacoma, have a boat, and have been looking at that island for years. Every time I cross the Columbia on 205, I wonder how to get to it. I will be in OK City until November, but let's get together and make a trip. I'm always up for an adventure.

Denis

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 805

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice boat there underc , I live near Portland and sailed my boat for 10 yrs. on the Columbia.
Never got much upriver from the Willamette though.
Never had a detector back then either.
I have hunted Sauvies Island beaches a few times and only got a few coins and lots of bottle caps and nails from the pallet bonfires that are illegal now.
If you want some company hunting Gov. Island, let me know, son also.
I think 33rd St. boat ramp is the closest on Marine Drive.
Only have old charts for the area as I sold my boat when started having kids over 25 yrs. ago.
Grey

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
underc said:
I know this is an old post, but did you ever get out there? I live in Washington near Tacoma, have a boat, and have been looking at that island for years. Every time I cross the Columbia on 205, I wonder how to get to it. I will be in OK City until November, but let's get together and make a trip. I'm always up for an adventure.

Denis

Hey! I recognize that boat! It belongs to a dear friend of mine. It's been a while Denis. Expect a PM or email coming to an inbox near you very soon.

Tom (76-78)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread