image-3114400813.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 823

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any reason not to detect the base, just for the hell of it?

OP
OP
justinfitz1

justinfitz1

Nov 12, 2009
When I came up on the x it looked pretty straight like cut with a chain saw. I just thought it would be a waste of time. But since you put it that way I think I will this weekend! The land has been in family for a while so I know it wasn't one of us. I'm the one who keeps up with fence and other so..... Maybe your right might as well!

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trees are funny things.
That mark may be three years old, it may be 30.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't just detect the base of that tree, but see if there are any other trees in the direction the X is facing. If I was burying a cache I wouldn't mark the tree it's under...the mark would raise curiosity in most people as it did you and spur them to dig the base...I'd use it to locate the place where I buried my cache.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A older man told me when he was a kid there were some X's on some trees on the farm he grew up on. He said he would find arrowheads in that area . He also told me that his mom told him that gold and silver was buried there by the indians . He said that 1 morning he was out there playing and there were holes dug up in that area. I did some research and there was some tale about Spanish gold in that area . He took me there to show it to me but its been 75 years since he's been back there. I plan on going back and looking around . I did see signs of a camp there

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to compare the location of the tree to plat maps of your property or any others in the area -- especially if property lines have changed within that tree's lifetime. (Depending upon the location of the tree, size and species, it could be 50 to 300 years old, so could take awhile. I doubt that scar goes back more than 50 years though.) Anyway, that may have marked a property corner or line at some point.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The X on the tree might be a trail marker,if it's in a wooden area,if not maybe it stands for "10",10 feet or ten steps from that tree in any direction.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check behind the X not in front of the X. Good statement about the X equaling ten. Another thought might be to measure the height of the X above the ground, multiply that times ten, and then measure that distance behind the tree.

The reason I say check behind the X, if there is a real purpose to it, it is initially seen from the front side, not the back side.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could just be a guys hunting tree, or marker to his stand. I've done this a lot over the years. Lol I can see it now some guy out there following my X's with dollar signs in them. Just to find a place where I dropped a deuce!!! Lol that's some funny sh-t.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol thought of something even better they'll think it's Bigfoot poop!!! Lol

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my calculations, there are 231,549 explanations available for that "X". Pick a couple hundred of the best ones and get to work! I think that it was originally a "+" sign that twisted as the tree grew. Mystery is what makes life so much fun!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can ,type in the area on Google Earth and then try going back on the sight and looking around to see if anything has changed.

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
If the tree is hollow it could be a marker for honeybees. Old timers would "mark" trees with an x to let everyone know that these bees had been claimed by someone. Just a thought.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Definitely looks man made to me. I would for sure detect it...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

MLively

Jan 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the tree is hollow it could be a marker for honeybees. Old timers would "mark" trees with an x to let everyone know that these bees had been claimed by someone. Just a thought.

Not saying it couldn't be bees, but bee trees were also marked with a persons initials. "No trespassing" wasn't the same back then. My great grandfather marked bee trees with an X

Proud to be a Texan!

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That X means nothing. I will prove it to you just give me the ordinance I will verify that nothing exists. Oh and those holes are where I covered all the deuces I dropped.
Just a little humor but me personally would be excavating with a backhoe by now.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That X means nothing. I will prove it to you just give me the ordinance I will verify that nothing exists. Oh and those holes are where I covered all the deuces I dropped.
Just a little humor but me personally would be excavating with a backhoe by now.

Lol!

sent from a potato...

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would detect the x... May find lead... X was the target!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions