Any ideas?

ghallen_GaryA

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been able to distinguish whether these are legit. Some of it looks newer than others. Found in central arizona. Any advice would be appreciated. IMG_20160124_154927~2.jpg IMG_20160124_155023~2.jpg

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our forum, glad you’re here.

Yiu can tell if the markings are weathered. Do you have a close up? Yiu can also look with a magnifying glass 30x to see the weathering of the markings.

They look legit from your photos.

Are they on a major pass where many people travel or where they found off the beaten pass. Obviously you want them to be off the beaten path. That would increase the percentage of it being legit.

Here is a great read for you

Petroglyphs: Art or Writing?

Here are some photos for reference
099495B3-FD65-41BA-98B8-FE9B19CB1333.jpeg 65294B59-C578-4EAB-8A07-18AFB36374EA.jpeg

OP
OP
G

ghallen_GaryA

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our forum, glad you’re here.

Yiu can tell if the markings are weathered. Do you have a close up? Yiu can also look with a magnifying glass 30x to see the weathering of the markings.

They look legit from your photos.

Are they on a major pass where many people travel or where they found off the beaten pass. Obviously you want them to be off the beaten path. That would increase the percentage of it being legit.

Here is a great read for you

Petroglyphs: Art or Writing?

Here are some photos for reference
View attachment 1542887 View attachment 1542889
Thank you, and its good to be a part of the forum. My 11 yo daughter and i were just hiking down a secluded wash off of a dirt road when we came across them(she was actually the one to discover them) about 2 years ago. Since then i have read about treasure signs, Jesuit signs, Spaniard signs thinking ill figure it out....i couldnt have been more wrong. The only thing ive managed to learn so far is how many different meanings it could actually have, if any at all.
Some of the symbols definitly look older than some that are right next to them. The cross with letters just looks out of place...but what do i know. Ill see if i can zoom in and re post the pics. Thanks again for responding and sharing some much needed knowledge. IMG_20160124_154927~2.jpg IMG_20160124_155023~2.jpg

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indians used the semi-swastika symbol...but not letters..you may have found some Spanish markings. Did you read Steve Shaffer's book "Of man and gold"? lots of good symbol stuff in there.

OP
OP
G

ghallen_GaryA

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indians used the semi-swastika symbol...but not letters..you may have found some Spanish markings. Did you read Steve Shaffer's book "Of man and gold"? lots of good symbol stuff in there.
I'll take a look into the book and see if sheds any light on it. One thing for sure, if its been there this long...i have plenty if time to research it. Thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread