ABUKUMA

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
History says its sunk in 6000 feet of water in the sulu sea ...... after many years of researching this ......history might prove to be wrong ,,,,for months after its final day even the japanese did not know what happened to the Abukuma ..... this captain did some very strange things that final day in 1944 ....Remember what he seen and knew in those final 48 hours ,,,,many local stops ????? last big ship on a one way trip back to japan was a fact 100% .... many rumors over the years of the improvements to this ship ....well the photo i seen and the information ive read something very wrong with its final time line to the bottom .... any information about this ships final resting place would be helpful in my search

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History says its sunk in 6000 feet of water in the sulu sea ...... after many years of researching this ......history might prove to be wrong ,,,,for months after its final day even the japanese did not know what happened to the Abukuma ..... this captain did some very strange things that final day in 1944 ....Remember what he seen and knew in those final 48 hours ,,,,many local stops ????? last big ship on a one way trip back to japan was a fact 100% .... many rumors over the years of the improvements to this ship ....well the photo i seen and the information ive read something very wrong with its final time line to the bottom .... any information about this ships final resting place would be helpful in my search

Hola 666

On 26 October, Abukuma was spotted and attacked repeatedly by B-24 Liberator bombers of the 5th Group, 13th Air Force armed with 500 lb (227 kg) bombs. At 10:06 AM she took a direct hit near the No. 3 140 mm turret; at 10:20 two more hits by B-24 bombers of the 33rd Squadron 22nd Group, 5th Air Force were scored further aft that started fires. The fire spread to the engine rooms and aft torpedo rooms. Power was lost and the ship's speed declined. At 10:37 AM, four Type 93 Long Lance torpedoes in the aft torpedo room exploded with devastating effect. Between 11:00 and 11:30 AM off Negros Island, the crew abandoned ship. At 11:42 AM, she sank by the stern at 09°20′N 122°32′ECoordinates: 09°20′N 122°32′E with 250 of her crewmen. Ushio rescued her captain and 283 crewmen.

Abukuma was removed from the navy list on 20 December 1944.

Referenced from the book Stille, Imperial Japanese Navy Light Cruisers 1941-45 , page 22-26;

Here is some pictures of her below.

839edd5117f439d723e9793dfda02493.jpg

e4491f72bb3ff7ef8874a9cc7f3f9aac.jpg

ntdHfZF.jpg

Other than a historical war wreck its primary function was war ship defending Japanese warships in defense of Philippine against the Americans. There was another ship sunk in Sulu Sea that may of been carrying looted goods back from Japan.

Mal

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
South sea thats what the book says ....read interrogation Nav 58 commander kokichi mori nov 3 1945 the us air force doesnt sound like they really know where .....i could be wrong but the land stories dont match this position ,,,,all the eye witness accounts dont add up ....and there many ships sunk in the sulu sea i know of 5 in this area .....thanks for showing interest south sea

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola 666

Not impossible navigation back then did not have the sophistication then what we have now.

Perhaps the real treasure on that warship was its steel hull? Pre atomic bomb age steel has low radioactive and so scrap steel is worth a fortune. I hear prices have exchanged for 100 dollars per pound

So the steel off the hull is worth about 200000 per ton. X That by 5574 log tons?

It dos not take much math to realize 5570 steel ship full of background steel is petty much a hull paved is gold is it not?

A couple War graves was violated in Indonesian not so long ago? It seems some one some where is making a fortune supplying scrap low back ground steel from robbing war graves?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically the ship in steel alone in pre nuclear age steel prices worth close to billion dollars. On course the more this sort steel comes onto the market prices will fall. The hunger in china for such steel is insatiable.

Here is the conundrum we face is west with warships dedicate war graves. It was only in the last 40 odd years they have become so. After the war many ships with war dead in them was recovered for resources. But not in 21st century we celebrate them as dedicated war graves.

The question is when do give a war grave a time limit? For example when dead have several generations have past?

At present several ships have been salvaged for steel the bones of the dead scatter along the sea floor.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/sixty-per-cent-of-shipwreck-hmas-perth-gone-after-illegal-scrap-metal-salvaging-20170605-gwkmhe.html

Mal

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread