100yrs apart and a bonus large cent washer

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I dug my first holed copper... unfortunately there is more “hole” than coin. There’s not enough to identify, but I can see an “A” (zoom in just above my index finger) correctly positioned for a large cent. It is slightly larger and thinner than the Matron I found, which I think would be expected after punching a hole, then hammering it flat. It counts as a coin in my book!
I also managed to get my coil over a Matron cent and a Mercury dime minted in 1817 and 1917.
if anyone has any pointers for detecting around old (1720-1800s) blacksmith shops, I would love to hear them. There is a ton of waste material scattered all over the property and a lot of it rings up in the British copper range on my nox.
Thanks for looking -HD

17B09FDC-975F-42FB-84E2-F6690F5E9A90.jpeg
B0D98B7A-9059-4855-9232-6B0827C5DB2F.jpeg

Upvote 14

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, they turned it into a washer. As to hunting in the iron with the Nox, I would keep the iron volume (Horseshoe) ON, and turn down the volume. You might try Field 1 with stock 2 tones. I'd also still dig it all though, especially if you're hunting a spot with that kind of potential. Clearing out the iron may eventually unmask some keepers. Congrats on the nice finds!

OP
OP
H

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Yep, they turned it into a washer. As to hunting in the iron with the Nox, I would keep the iron volume (Horseshoe) ON, and turn down the volume. You might try Field 1 with stock 2 tones. I'd also still dig it all though, especially if you're hunting a spot with that kind of potential. Clearing out the iron may eventually unmask some keepers. Congrats on the nice finds!

CHAZ.... Thank you for the suggestion. I often run with the iron on and I am not bothered by the iron noise. However the field modes (my preference) have sounded like an arcade, even with the sensitivity turned way down I am getting tons of false tones. Park 1 has been manageable with sensitivity over 20, but 75% of the 18-20 target turns out to be a glob of metal.... Im guessing an accidental alloy based on the tone/VDI (I need to do a magnet test). The property is on the market so I have to make the most of my time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of character to that LC, it beats a burnt crispy one that often come up.
If you had unlimited time at the site I'd suggest digging the iron-but from being on the market, time is short it appears.
Slowing right down in the iron helps-but when it sounds like a mad telegraph operator sending Morris Code-it's a challenge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread