12/23/11 A First for me, standing and cold with 3 silvers

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
Got out today for a good hunt. Within the first 20 minutes I pulled my first silver, a 1941 -D Washington. (I thought only 2 more and I will at least tie my 2010 total of 47 -- had you told me Dec 1, when I only had 33 on the year that I could tie last year, I would not have believed it the way things have gone for me this year -- December has been great!)

About midway into my 3 hour hunt, I pulled a nickel, checked it, silver! Now I only needed 1 to tie. Pulled a couple of wheats. Then near the end, I got something close to a quarter signal. It ended up being a compass which at first I thought may have been a pocket watch.

I had probably hiked a round trip of over 3 miles during the hunt and I was heading back. Amazingly, probably only about 150 feet at most from where I pulled my first quarter, I got a quarter signal. It was weak and deep, but I knew it was a silver quarter. Perfect sound on the Etrac ...

I popped it out, it was probably 9-10 inches deep. It was covered with sticky clay. I managed after several rinses in my pill bottle to see that it was an SLQ -- A FIRST for me. I have been wanting to find one bad since I started detecting 2.75 years ago. It was tops on my list. Granted I have found better coins and older coins than the SLQ and also granted I'd probably be happier finding a Seated, still, the SLQ topped my list and now finally I found one. Now a Seated Quarter (I've found dimes) tops that list.

I managed to pull myself up to 47 which ties last year -- south of I-80 you know... anyway this may be my last hunt for '11.
allcoins.jpg

It appears to me, although this is smooth, that its a 1924. In the larger picture (before I scaled it down) there was what looked like a "1" where the terminal digit should be. Eyeball it definitely looks like a 4. Though, if any of you out there can tell a pedestal date from a recessed date on a worn SLQ, please let me know...
SLQ A.jpg SlqB.jpg
It also appears as if Liberty has changed genders on this coin...

compass A.jpg compassB.jpg

HAppy Hunting and Merry Christmas!

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!!Awesome hunt Jon and congrats on the first SLQ :icon_thumright:

needle n haystack

Dec 20, 2009
Northern, IL
Detector(s) used
Etrac / ctx 30/30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, I've been wanting a SLQ never found one. The one park I always think I'll get one from never gives one up. all other coins from that era but not SLQ

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
needle n haystack said:
Great finds, I've been wanting a SLQ never found one. The one park I always think I'll get one from never gives one up. all other coins from that era but not SLQ

As you know location dictates, but statistically for me, throw in the 2+ years I've been detecting and it took 105 silver for me to get it. 2009-- 11 silver (0 quarters) 2010 - 47 silver (8 quarter -- 5 Barber/3 Georges); 2011 47 silver (8 quarters (1 barber/ 6 Georges/ 1 SLQ). Or my quarter ration was 1/16 for SLQ. I see a lot of them posted but they don't seem too common. I guess they were only made a little over a decade and then replaced by a hideously ugly coin...

It's a good coin to be waiting on... good luck finding one... (though those seated dimes you've been pulling are :thumbsup: )

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great way to wind down the year! Its just a shame that the dates come off so easy.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
You may have found more than you think.

Please post additional photos front and back of the 1941 D quarter. Looks like doubled motto on the first photo.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions