Oct 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I recently finished writting FINDING THE FLEET II, (A sequel to Finding the Fleet, published in 2015). During the course of the research for the new book, I had the opportunity to interview 90-year-old Pat Corrigan. He told me much information about his family and what all they found on the beach and in the water over the years, and much of which I relate in the book. One story however, is right in line with this thread.

Hugh Corrigan III was born on in Duncan, Oklahoma on September 14, 1923. Patrick Corrigan was born in Midland, Texas on November 28, 1928.

The Corrigan family once owned a 72-acre parcel of land that included 1,200 feet of oceanfront. Dan informed me, “It is now Carlton Vero Beach, high-end townhomes.” He also said, “The workers dug up an old skeleton or two when they were under construction.”

Hugh and Pat both grew up in Midland, Texas. Hugh graduated from Midland High School in 1941. He attended the University of Texas and served his country in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II and was stationed in Florida. He actually was a member of the mounted beach patrol that went up and down the coast searching for signs of German sabateurs and spies that might have been put ashore by U-Boat. (Such German spies were landed at Ponte Verde) He moved with his parents to Vero Beach, Florida in 1944. Pat graduated from Vero Beach High School in 1945.

The following is an excerpt from my interview with Pat Corrigan, in his own words. I hope you enjoy,

Let me tell you another interesting story.

We had a black couple who worked for us and were very dear to our family, and they stayed in a little worker’s cottage out where we had a 25-acre grove on the property. They would clean up the kitchen after dinner at night and walk out with flashlight about 200-250 yards to their little shack, out in the grove. Odel and Rosalee Braswell were their names.
You could write a book on Odel. He was one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. Rosalee was big and heavy and Odel was smallish, well-built but small. They came in one day and Rasalee said,

“Mr. Pat… Mr. Pat, we seen a man out in the grove!” And I said, “Oh really” and I said, “Where was he?” “Right standing out on the side of the road.” And so I asked “Well what did he say?” and she said “He didn’t say nothing, he just stood there and looked.” And I said, “He just stood there and looked? My golly, must have been a poacher, a trespasser, I’m surprised he didn’t run and try to get away.” She said, “No sir, he didn’t say nothin.” Odel was standing there and he hadn’t said anything so I asked “Odel did you see anything?” and Odel said “I didn’t see no little man.” So during the next week or so they saw this little man three times. He was always in the same vicinity and just stood there quietly. So I asked “What did he look like?” and Rosalee said “He was just a little man.” I don’t remember her exact words, but she said he looked different.

So many year later, we sold that beach property to Carlton Development, they put those big condos on it. They dug into the dune pretty far when they were laying the foundations for the various buildings, I heard that they dug up a body and it was real, real old and they thought it was either an Indian or a Spaniard. So I suppose that must have been the ghost of that Spanish sailor that had been haunting the area.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Galeon Hunter

When will Finding the Fleet II be available for purchase

OP
OP
Y

Yaco787

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is cool. I too would like to know when the book is released. Thanks.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently finished writting FINDING THE FLEET II, (A sequel to Finding the Fleet, published in 2015). During the course of the research for the new book, I had the opportunity to interview 90-year-old Pat Corrigan. He told me much information about his family and what all they found on the beach and in the water over the years, and much of which I relate in the book. One story however, is right in line with this thread.

Hugh Corrigan III was born on in Duncan, Oklahoma on September 14, 1923. Patrick Corrigan was born in Midland, Texas on November 28, 1928.

The Corrigan family once owned a 72-acre parcel of land that included 1,200 feet of oceanfront. Dan informed me, “It is now Carlton Vero Beach, high-end townhomes.” He also said, “The workers dug up an old skeleton or two when they were under construction.”

Hugh and Pat both grew up in Midland, Texas. Hugh graduated from Midland High School in 1941. He attended the University of Texas and served his country in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II and was stationed in Florida. He actually was a member of the mounted beach patrol that went up and down the coast searching for signs of German sabateurs and spies that might have been put ashore by U-Boat. (Such German spies were landed at Ponte Verde) He moved with his parents to Vero Beach, Florida in 1944. Pat graduated from Vero Beach High School in 1945.

The following is an excerpt from my interview with Pat Corrigan, in his own words. I hope you enjoy,

Let me tell you another interesting story.

We had a black couple who worked for us and were very dear to our family, and they stayed in a little worker’s cottage out where we had a 25-acre grove on the property. They would clean up the kitchen after dinner at night and walk out with flashlight about 200-250 yards to their little shack, out in the grove. Odel and Rosalee Braswell were their names.
You could write a book on Odel. He was one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. Rosalee was big and heavy and Odel was smallish, well-built but small. They came in one day and Rasalee said,

“Mr. Pat… Mr. Pat, we seen a man out in the grove!” And I said, “Oh really” and I said, “Where was he?” “Right standing out on the side of the road.” And so I asked “Well what did he say?” and she said “He didn’t say nothing, he just stood there and looked.” And I said, “He just stood there and looked? My golly, must have been a poacher, a trespasser, I’m surprised he didn’t run and try to get away.” She said, “No sir, he didn’t say nothin.” Odel was standing there and he hadn’t said anything so I asked “Odel did you see anything?” and Odel said “I didn’t see no little man.” So during the next week or so they saw this little man three times. He was always in the same vicinity and just stood there quietly. So I asked “What did he look like?” and Rosalee said “He was just a little man.” I don’t remember her exact words, but she said he looked different.

So many year later, we sold that beach property to Carlton Development, they put those big condos on it. They dug into the dune pretty far when they were laying the foundations for the various buildings, I heard that they dug up a body and it was real, real old and they thought it was either an Indian or a Spaniard. So I suppose that must have been the ghost of that Spanish sailor that had been haunting the area.

put me in for the book as well

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I am hoping to have it published by Christmas. At least that is my goal. The Sunken Treasure Literature Club's meeting is at the FUN SHOW (Florida United Numistmatics) convention is in January and I sure would like to have it available by then. Please PM me your email address and I will send you a notification once it is avaialble.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghosts??? Hmmm, not too sure on that, but I GUARANTEE you'll see more if you down a few beers!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
download.png

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I detect a Treasure Coast beach I see a ghost ahead of me picking up gold and silver. Actually it’s my ghost, wishful thinking��

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was once a ghost article published in an older treasure magazine... don't remember who wrote it or the date, only that is was related to one of the Mel Fisher wreck sites.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at the McLarty museum last Saturday, while I didn’t see any ghosts,,,,
Vero was a ghost town thanks to red tide.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Awesome story, Rob.

Let me know if you need an editor for your manuscript! I'd love to read it & be useful at the same time.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try one of those night time trail cams... once saw pics made from such a cam some girl got of a deer at night with a little Victorian dressed girl standing beside it. I haven't tried it myself, but if it really works please let me know.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions