1782 Half Real Charles III - fire damaged?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This weekend I searched the former homesite where I found a draped bust cent earlier this year. About mid way through my search, I found this half real of Charles III In an area across from the cellar hole. I was super excited at first, as the small bumps on the coin made me think I had a Massachusetts Oak Tree pence from the 1600s. Although that was not to be, I was still very happy to see it was Spanish silver. Given the bumps and discoloration, I think this coin may have endured a fire; what do you think? I also think the coin may have been holed, which contributed to the chip at the top edge. The date is tough to see, but I believe it is 1782 or possibly 1789. The back is rough too, but the Mexico City mintmark is clear. Also dug seven buttons in various areas of the property. Thanks and good luck out there. (UPDATE: Thanks to Mackaydon, i.e., Don in SoCal, I determined this coin is 1782 based on the assayer initials of FF. See Don’s helpful post below, as you may find his tip useful when trying to ID Spanish silver.)
IMG_7116.jpeg
IMG_7117.jpeg IMG_7120.jpeg
IMG_7125.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 33

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I searched the former homesite where I found a draped bust cent earlier this year. About mid way through my search, I found this half real of Charles III In an area across from the cellar hole. I was super excited at first, as the small bumps on the coin made me think I had a Massachusetts Oak Tree pence from the 1600s. Although that was not to be, I was still very happy to see it was Spanish silver. Given the bumps and discoloration, I think this coin may have endured a fire; what do you think? I also think the coin may have been holed, which contributed to the chip at the top edge. The date is tough to see, but I believe it is 1782 or possibly 1789. The back is rough too, but the Mexico City mintmark is clear. Also dug seven buttons in various areas of the property. Thanks and good luck out there. View attachment 2150184 View attachment 2150185 View attachment 2150186 View attachment 2150187
Definitely holed.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a way to tell the difference between a 1782 and a 1789:
The '82 assayer is 'FF'
The '89 assayer is 'FM'
Don in SoCal
Thank you, Don. I didn’t think to look for that type of info. Upon closer inspection, I see the FF. I was leaning toward 1782 before, but this confirms it. I said it before and will say it again, you sure know your coins. Thanks! P.S., I updated my post accordingly.
IMG_7130.jpeg

Last edited:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, looks like fire damage from here - still a great find - congrats !

Here's a 1880 Morgan Dollar I found last Winter that looks similar.
I'm pretty sure it was in a house fire.

Attachments

• MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - A.jpg
    MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - A.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 7
  • MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - C.jpg
    MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - C.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, looks like fire damage from here - still a great find - congrats !

Here's a 1880 Morgan Dollar I found last Winter that looks similar.
I'm pretty sure it was in a house fire.
Thanks for the comments and pics. That damage looks pretty consistent with mine. The fires reeked havoc on our coins, but at least we both got positive IDs and dates, which is a good thing.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You gotta love finding Spanish silver...nothing much better. I would agree that this coin has suffered some fire damage. Not that there is anything wrong with that...just adds some extra character. Congrats lenmac65 on a excellent outing!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This weekend I searched the former homesite where I found a draped bust cent earlier this year. About mid way through my search, I found this half real of Charles III In an area across from the cellar hole. I was super excited at first, as the small bumps on the coin made me think I had a Massachusetts Oak Tree pence from the 1600s. Although that was not to be, I was still very happy to see it was Spanish silver. Given the bumps and discoloration, I think this coin may have endured a fire; what do you think? I also think the coin may have been holed, which contributed to the chip at the top edge. The date is tough to see, but I believe it is 1782 or possibly 1789. The back is rough too, but the Mexico City mintmark is clear. Also dug seven buttons in various areas of the property. Thanks and good luck out there. (UPDATE: Thanks to Mackaydon, i.e., Don in SoCal, I determined this coin is 1782 based on the assayer initials of FF. See Don’s helpful post below, as you may find his tip useful when trying to ID Spanish silver.) View attachment 2150184 View attachment 2150185 View attachment 2150186 View attachment 2150187
great saves all around, big time gratz on that old silver, so cool

moemoney

Greenie
Mar 22, 2024
This weekend I searched the former homesite where I found a draped bust cent earlier this year. About mid way through my search, I found this half real of Charles III In an area across from the cellar hole. I was super excited at first, as the small bumps on the coin made me think I had a Massachusetts Oak Tree pence from the 1600s. Although that was not to be, I was still very happy to see it was Spanish silver. Given the bumps and discoloration, I think this coin may have endured a fire; what do you think? I also think the coin may have been holed, which contributed to the chip at the top edge. The date is tough to see, but I believe it is 1782 or possibly 1789. The back is rough too, but the Mexico City mintmark is clear. Also dug seven buttons in various areas of the property. Thanks and good luck out there. (UPDATE: Thanks to Mackaydon, i.e., Don in SoCal, I determined this coin is 1782 based on the assayer initials of FF. See Don’s helpful post below, as you may find his tip useful when trying to ID Spanish silver.) View attachment 2150184 View attachment 2150185 View attachment 2150186 View attachment 2150187
Nice find! I worked in a gold and silver exchange for over 30 years and I've seen lots of silver victims of house fires. One time some folks brought in hundred ounce bars that had burned and bubbled. Another time a man brought in a silver dollar "lump" that had been a bag of 100 Morgan dollars!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! I worked in a gold and silver exchange for over 30 years and I've seen lots of silver victims of house fires. One time some folks brought in hundred ounce bars that had burned and bubbled. Another time a man brought in a silver dollar "lump" that had been a bag of 100 Morgan dollars!
Thank you for the comments and insights. The thought of 100 Morgan dollars turned into a lump brings a tear to my eye though.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a nice find :) Thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions