1788 Mass Cent, 1739 KG, Farthing, Fancy Dandy Button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out this morning. Been a tough stretch. Found an old cellar hole that I dint know existed. I got a copper coin signal and pulled out a round disc but it had scalloped edges or waves around the perimeter. It turned out to be my 2nd Mass cent. Ac1788 and much nicer than my other one. I couldn't see any detail so I didn't even know if it was a coin. Also dug a kg that was very deep. It was close to the tree coin area and I was really thinking that it might be #2. Perfect 80 signal both ways and easily 10" down. Also found a few buttons. One is iron which is a first. Another is a 4 holer but looks really old. I also found a big domed button that turned into the fanciest gold gilted button I've ever found. Got out briefly last week and found a farthing that's destroyed and a trigger guard which is a first. Thanks for looking guys
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 34

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow i need to find a place like that ! Congrats on such great finds :thumbsup:

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! You got the Midas touch when you're detecting. Gonna have to get you up to a couple of my sites so you can show me what I'm missing :)

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt!!! The MA copper looks like it was dropped pretty soon after it's appearance in circulation, the edged design is also very unique and cool. Also, I love the colonial coppers and dandies, I don't find the dandies often down here in Virginia but in New England they are more common it seems. Congratulations!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe, I always look forward to seeing what you post next. The button is awesome! I'm guessing aluminum jelly was the key there and the dirty picture of it is crazy. I would have never thought to even try and clean that up... this winter I will have to go through some of my buttons and see if any of them have gilt like that left. That mass cent is really cool man. OH and you weren't kidding, smooth 80's from two directions really get my blood pumping too. No shoe buckles this time?! ha You find shoe buckles like I find memorial cents. Awesome hunt dude!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're killin' it dude. That Mass Cent is in amazing condition.

Congrats on more awesome finds.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN LOOK AT THE FROG LEG EAGLE ON THAT COIN . DAMN AHAB THATS A NICE ONE .THE DANG EAGLE REALLY STANDS OUT.NEAT FIND.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting finds :thumbsup:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A really nice hunt with some unique early finds. Another tree coin is out there!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!! Very jealous of that Mass copper!! Congrats

Top Member Reactions