cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this 1794 liberty cap lettered edge
I know there are many varieties and I am unsure which one this is.
Is there anyone more educated on these coins that might be able to give me further insight as to what it is exactly? should it be graded/slabbed?
Any help would be appreciated
As of now the coin has only been gently rinsed with distilled water
Dave-

Attachments

• 1794 liberty cap front.png
    1794 liberty cap front.png
    3 MB · Views: 312
  • 1794 liberty cap back.png
    1794 liberty cap back.png
    2 MB · Views: 255
Upvote 24

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful with that baby. There is a very rare variety of the 1794 Cent that has many little stars around the edge of the reverse side. (See Photo)
After enlarging your photos, it seems like those little stars might be present under the "UNI" of UNITED, where detail is the clearest. Can't tell on the rest
of the reverse because of condition. Look closely with a high-powered magnifier. If you think yours is the "Stars" variety, contact PCGS and ask them what they think you should do. As "smokeythecat" says in his post, PCGS now has a "cleaning" or "restoration" service. I would call or email them
nonetheless, no matter what variety you have, before you mail it off somewhere. Good luck & extremely nice find.
Photo of 1794 L.Cent with "stars":
1794-starred-reverse-liberty-cap-large-cent.jpg

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry "cannonball". Here's another photo. As you can see, the little "stars" are not everywhere. Some spots on the edge don't have the stars. So look closely
at the reverse. The latest "COIN WORLD" lists the "Starrred Reverse" variety @$30,000 in AG-3 condition (About Good). In F-12 condition (Fine), it's valued @ 75G.
Best wishes.
1794 L.C. reverse with stars.png

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely beautiful coin. Great find! I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't send it for grading OR conservation. I don't have a lot of confidence in their conservation. An early copper expert could do a much better job. Once something is done to the coin it won't come back to what you have. It's beautiful as it is. Advanced copper collectors collect coins, not plastic slabs.

Although I'm no expert on '94's, it somewhat resembles a S-31. The diagnostic being the lower hair curl. What yours doesn't have is the the die chips in the left obverse field. It's possible your piece is an earlier die state before the chips appeared, but as someone without the expertise in 1794's this is just conjecture. Great coin.

1794 Large Cent - Sheldon 31

View attachment 1559092 View attachment 1559093
I agree, you can get it cleaned anywhere without getting it slabbed. No rush for conservation as its not going to get any worse, but if worried about it drying out, just stick some Museum Wax on it. (totally reversible)

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful with that baby. There is a very rare variety of the 1794 Cent that has many little stars around the edge of the reverse side. (See Photo)
After enlarging your photos, it seems like those little stars might be present under the "UNI" of UNITED, where detail is the clearest. Can't tell on the rest
of the reverse because of condition. Look closely with a high-powered magnifier. If you think yours is the "Stars" variety, contact PCGS and ask them what they think you should do. As "smokeythecat" says in his post, PCGS now has a "cleaning" or "restoration" service. I would call or email them
nonetheless, no matter what variety you have, before you mail it off somewhere. Good luck & extremely nice find.
Photo of 1794 L.Cent with "stars":
View attachment 1559288

Sorry, but it's not even close to a S-48, the Starred Reverse variety. There is only one obverse with the S-48 and it is completely different.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She’s a looker.
Congrats

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but it's not even close to a S-48, the Starred Reverse variety. There is only one obverse with the S-48 and it is completely different.

Yes, there are distinct differences. I pasted "cannonball's" photo next to an S-48 image from this site: 1794 1C Starred Reverse, BN (Regular Strike) - PCGS CoinFacts It's interesting that " there are nearly 60 different sub-varieties within these 4 major classes! " (from this site):
https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/101/large-cents/liberty-cap/1794-P/all-varieties/
cannonball's 1794LC#2.png

I would leave the coin as is & be sure to find out what the exact variety is. Other posters
here have valid opinions as to restoring or not restoring. Making further inquiries & getting
different opinions before altering the coin in any way is always a sound path to take.
It's unfortunate that the reverse isn't in the condition of the obverse. It is really a great looking coin from the second year of the U.S. Mint. Lot's of experimenting with designs back then. Coin could even be "unigue" in it's own right. Best wishes "cannonball".
Thanks for sharing your great find. Keep us posted!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I GOT ONE AND YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY>NICE FIND

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread