Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decided to go to the Pomander site for a quick hunt before dark. Sure glad I did. Pulled my first low mintage coin. 1803 Draped Bust Half Cent and in pretty good condition considering how most old coppers look from this site. Got a nice flat button and a period(I think) copper-brass ring too.

What should I do to clean this coin or should I just leave it alone? There's a lot of detail left on this coin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 12

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing find. Experts may have better advice by here's my technique: Distilled water soak for a couple days to start (or longer). Toothpick clean, acetone soak, xylene to finish. Be very careful.

Or just get it professionally scrubbed.

Congrats on the half-cent. I have an 1801 and 1804 but they're pretty rough. Yours has excellent potential!!!

Steve

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find. Experts may have better advice by here's my technique: Distilled water soak for a couple days to start (or longer). Toothpick clean, acetone soak, xylene to finish. Be very careful.

Or just get it professionally scrubbed.

Congrats on the half-cent. I have an 1801 and 1804 but they're pretty rough. Yours has excellent potential!!!

Steve

It's soaking in distiller water. Thanks. Less than 100,000 minted. My previous best was over 2,000,000 minted on my 1828 LC

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the old copper.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to see a half cent pop up. Don't see those every day. Congrats!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats toasted on that old copper. :occasion14: It's older than anything I have found. Bet you're still stoked, I know I would be...:thumbsup:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that Pomander site is your site! I would go there and dig everything you can. Sounds like there was some serious history there and a lot of it left for you to find! Congrats brother! Your button is a milled Tombac button.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats toasted on that old copper. :occasion14: It's older than anything I have found. Bet you're still stoked, I know I would be...:thumbsup:

Funny thing is that I also dug 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent at this site in the spring.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that Pomander site is your site! I would go there and dig everything you can. Sounds like there was some serious history there and a lot of it left for you to find! Congrats brother

Went to another site this morning and got a few Indian heads and a v nickel. I had pretty much struck out on two prior trips to the Pomander site. We had a good rain the other day so maybe that brought some new targets out of hiding. I have dug a lot of iffy signals here that end up being iron so pretty much digging it all

Last edited:
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder why the half cents don't have a lot of value. Don't seem to be as collectible as others. All the half cents have relatively low mintages

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why the half cents don't have a lot of value. Don't seem to be as collectible as others. All the half cents have relatively low mintages
Congrats on the half cent:hello2: I don't have my red book in front of me but I know the 1803 large cent really doesn't have a lot of value except for one type.Maybe it's the year :dontknow:Great hunt:icon_thumright:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I SAY A TOAST TO THE FINDS .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread