Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another post showing the "before", and I am posting it here in it's own right. Was bent horribly. The local jeweler did a bang up job on it. Yes, this is the same item. American made, ca 1810. View attachment IMG_0259.jpg The spoon is the black "thing" just below the three silvers, and here it is after the repair.
View attachment IMG_0361.jpg In case you asked it was an expensive, professional repair, but an unbelievable save!

Upvote 17
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you are reading my mind. I have another one at the same jeweler/silversmith my mom found about 50 years ago. It is also getting restored.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That jeweler did an amazing job, I cant wait until you show us the other one. Ive found old silver utensils or pieces of them all bent up like that many times before, but that was before I knew they were silver and always tossed them back into the dirt.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tossing back silver makes me cringe.

BFR

Oct 7, 2014
Lower thumb knuckle Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Love finding silver flatware. I have 2 spoons that are from the late 1800s to early 1900s. They are bent but not mangled like yours. They are both very decorative. It would be interesting to find out how much to repair them. Did you use any jeweler or find one that specialized in flatware?

That jeweler did an amazing job, I cant wait until you show us the other one. Ive found old silver utensils or pieces of them all bent up like that many times before, but that was before I knew they were silver and always tossed them back into the dirt.

That is why you take it with you. LOL I have a 5 gallon bucket full of silver plate that I went back thru and found 2 pieces that I missed.

BFR

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had done business with one near the city. They have been around forever. I knew I saw flatware in there in the past and sure enough, they were able to help me. It did cost more than what it was worth, but to me that's irrelevant. I believe an easier repair would be easier and cheaper.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find!

vp

Top Member Reactions