Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the Fall is spectacular in my neck of the woods right now. A bit past peak foliage, but still stunning. We've had a light frost and some of the brush has fallen, allowing more access to forested sites. Some research led me to an old road with about 5 homesites that were on the maps in the mid 1850s. All of this is now abandoned, on private land which I secured a permission to access through a happy coincidence.

The first intact stone foundation is about 3/4 of a mile into the forest. It had a lot of trash around it (from 70s beer cans to barrel hoops) but I did manage to find the pocket watch housing, thimble, and coin purse frame there. That latter one was a heart stopper! (please let me get two coin purses in one season. pleeeeeze!!) Ah, but my pleas were in vain...just a big bolt underneath it, left almost as some cruel joke.

It was clear that nobody had ever detected here, so I just rambled about, too excited, moving away from the high trash areas and exploring a small orchard and plateau that was clearly a pasture perhaps as recently as 75 years ago. At the edge of that was a ridge, and suddenly I knew I was probably in a spot where an even older dwelling was. I pulled a beautiful flat button out, then a second. Five minutes later, my first Matron Head Cent! Two more buttons in the next 20 minutes, with nothing else but a few nail signals, all within a circle about 60 feet across.

I had an appointment to keep, but I wanted to scout at least one other home site, and found it another 1/2 mile up the road, on an incredible rise. A barn foundation, home foundation, dense apple orchard, and some very old oak trees were all visible and easily accessed. I only found the belt buckle and a lot of 1800s trash in a quick 15 minute hunt.

Even if I didn't have my detector with me, this was one of the finest fall hikes I've ever taken. The light playing through the remaining leaves, the absolute stillness, and walking along a an old roadway to find these amazing dwellings...wow. Can't wait until next weekend to head back!

Cheers, HH, thanks for reading

Attachments

• 10-17-15 -reverses.jpg
    10-17-15 -reverses.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 10-17-15 - post.jpg
    10-17-15 - post.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 10-17-15 - pre.jpg
    10-17-15 - pre.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 10-17-15 - road 2.jpg
    10-17-15 - road 2.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 10-17-15 -button 1.jpg
    10-17-15 -button 1.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 10-17-15 -button 2.jpg
    10-17-15 -button 2.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 10-17-15 -coin obverse.jpg
    10-17-15 -coin obverse.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 10-17-15 -road.jpg
    10-17-15 -road.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 6

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ZK DANG NICE RELICS YOU HAVE . MAN YOU ALL FIND SOME NEAT ITEMS UP NORTH ...LIKE THE CANDLE STICK HOLDER , SWEET ....

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks as always, Sutphin! We are super lucky. I'll never find a cob or gold, but it is a heck of an area to discover this hobby.

And nice call on the holder! I'd never found one before, and hadn't figured it out yet. That too was found near the buttons and largie.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post and great finds. That sounds like the type of place that'll keep you busy for years. Can't wait to see what else you find there.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be a rather AMAZING little hunt. the old babe is looking good with no stinkin' green crud. upper 40's with howling wind in the mid-Hudson valley today

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that would be a rather AMAZING little hunt. the old babe is looking good with no stinkin' green crud. upper 40's with howling wind in the mid-Hudson valley today

Thanks, Ace. The first 30 minutes today included some of that weather system, with the first sleet of the season! Then it was gone, the sun came out, and life was good.

Awesome post and great finds. That sounds like the type of place that'll keep you busy for years. Can't wait to see what else you find there.

Nice of you to say, OA. I'm hoping something fierce that my 2015 find list will look a bit more like yours before the season ends...a Spanish silver, my first, would just make it perfect.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your research and getting permission to hunt the area. :occasion14: Love that LC. Even if you do not dig much you are rewarded with all that natural beauty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread