1837 Ezra B. Sweet No. 200 Canal St. New York hard times token

rckhy37

Dec 17, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA-X 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,I have a coin/token that has the front of a big penny and on the back says "EZRA B. SWEET NO.200 CANAL STREET NEW YORK"around the edge and in the center says "STOVE & KITCHEN FURNITURE WAREHOUSE,TIN,COPPER AND ZINC ROOFING" Does anyone know if this is a rare coin/token?what is the value of this token?There are no scratches or worn spots on it so it would be considered uncirculated right?The black spot in front of the mouth is dirt or something which could easily be wiped off but I know better than to clean a coinIf I wanted to sell this where is the best place where people who collect these type coins/tokens would see it?the pictures i have are with and without a flash,the coin/token is redish brown,chocolate colored.this is a very nice looking,desireable collectable in my opinion. 000_0018.JPG 000_0019.JPG 000_0023.JPG 000_0025.JPG

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a hard times token, and in nice condition, but well under uncirculated for grade. There's quite a bit of wear in the hairline. Maybe something like VF? and probably not a big value coin in that grade.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This token came in two sizes: 27.5 MM and 28.5 MM. The former has a rarity of R4 and is retail valued at $50 in F, $160, in VF and $200 in EF. The larger variety is valued at $45 (F); $140 (VF) and $175 (EF).
Ezra Sweet was at the 200 Canal Street address from 1836 to 1839.
Don...
(Source: 4th Edition: US Tokens 1700-1900 by Russell Rulau)

OP
OP
R

rckhy37

Dec 17, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA-X 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My reason for asking is the fact that the only information I can really find with photo examples are from high end auctions and in the word NEW YORK the EW YOR are worn off and that one sold for $1092.I mainly collect older silver coins,pre "64 and this just does not have any noticable wear (possibly lightly struck or worn die?)when holding in person with 5x magnifier.I bought this in a holder and cannot see any fingerprints.Thank you for your input "Iron Patch",I appreciate any help and opinions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread