1859 Dollar

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this today while detecting at a local recreation park near a tree. Found it with my AT GOLD about 1 ft down wrapped in a plastic zip lock. No idea why the owner did that but it's mine now. Also about 3 ft away I got another hit near tree roots. I hate tree roots. I dug down about 4 inches and found a ring with a root growing inside of it about ready to blow the ring up. When I 1st looked at it all I saw was a diamond glowing at me. It turned out to be a kids ring sz 5 and the "diamond" is fake but it got my heart racing for a second.

Attachments

• 20141126_162604.JPG
    20141126_162604.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
hmmm. maybe I'm on to something here with this fake find of mine.... Im highly assuming it is indeed fake since it came in at a fluctuating 21/22 grams and has the trace rub marks of copper...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinman123 , I know I posted a thread asking why nobody ever seems to find these things - yeah - I know there aren't that many
Morgans or Peace dollars detected either - but they do put in an appearance now and then , not so with Seated Dollars . One reason
must have to do with the insanely low mintages compared with Peace or Morgans - Except for two of the 33 year run , they never
cracked a million coins - most of those years they were minted in the tens or low 100 thousands . I'd like to hear some more ideas
about this from others who are numismatic experts .

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but Iv'e been told that counterfeit is cooler than real. Probably much rarer and any dollar is pretty cool in my book.

No, an old period made counterfeit would be almost as valuable. This one looks like a modern chinese knockoff, which is probably why someone buried it. It was worthless and they didnt want someone else getting fooled (oops, not deep enough!)

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Quite possibly, do you think maybe someone had sponsored a "seeded" hunt there at one time and wanted to somewhat protect the coin from elements/scuffing until it was found? Which apparently never happened till you came a swingin'. :tongue3:

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Not to change topic but my ATGOLD does pretty dang well. Its like Satan to holy water w/salt water but otherwise I'm pleased. Haters gonna hate. ....

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That ziplock around a beauty like that would have blown my mind. Kaboom!

The first ziplock in the United States is a great find. Lol.

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, something looks "off" with it, I see what looks like copper/brass under worn of plating, mainly on the highpoints of the coin, where most wear was experienced wearing off plating.

When you go to look up a coins value, if it seems that it is a rare or key coin you should first suspect it is a fake until confirmed to be real. Personally, I didn't like the rim of the tiny beads or reeding. They seemed inconsistant and joined at places. They(U.S. engravers) were better engravers that took more care even with the smallest of details.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
it's not worth showing really. lol... I'll snap a pic tomorrow... 99.9% its costume.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread