1860s IHP spill revisited!

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Could not help but think I may have missed an Indian in all the nails at the spill site, so I went back. Right about in the middle of the old plugs, off to one side just a bit, was a signal in the mid 80s that was trying to hit one way. I checked all around and there were low iron buzzes. I couldn't pinpoint because of them, so I just dug out everything. I kept pulling nails and rechecking the hole. Every time I got some nails out, the 80s signal got stronger. I had to make a much larger hole than normal to get all of the masking nails out of the way. Finally, the pinpointer hit a strong signal that didn't stick to the magnet I have mounted on the back of it. I brushed the dirt away and revealed a coin at the bottom of the 7" deep hole. I was pretty sure it was part of the spill, but could not be sure until I cleaned the date off. It was another 1868. Unfortunately, it must have been lying right against a nail. There was pure sand underneath the 7-8" of topsoil in that area and I had pulled nails out of the sand that were completely below the topsoil. I believe this coin was down in the sand against a nail because it does not have the green patina that they get from the topsoil. It is perfectly brown except where it was against the nail. That corrosion in the center of the obverse turned this nice piece into a cull.

20240418_135709.jpg 20240418_135509.jpg 20240418_201043.jpg 20240418_200330.jpg 20240418_200756.jpg

I saved all the nails I pulled out of that hole to show you guys. These are in addition to the ones I pulled out the day I found the spill. I found the barber dime yesterday two inches from the concrete of the sidewalk about half a block North of the spill.

Now, I gotta tell you guys another story. I got a call this morning from Gare and E-Trac-Ohio on this forum and they said they are going to start calling me Custer because I am absolutely KILLING the Indians. LOL I bet there are guys who read this forum who have already found more Indians this year than the 45 I have. And, if I am not mistaken, Custer didn't kill the Indians. They killed him!

Upvote 23

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on finding one more Indian from the site ! :icon_thumright:

Yes, Custer was killed by the Indians but he killed countless Indians before they got him.
His was born in small town here in Ohio called New Rumley
New Rumley is only about 6 or 7 miles from where I live.

Good Hunting !

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be tempted to sift that nail ridden area.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on another IH! Thanks for sharing.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could not help but think I may have missed an Indian in all the nails at the spill site, so I went back. Right about in the middle of the old plugs, off to one side just a bit, was a signal in the mid 80s that was trying to hit one way. I checked all around and there were low iron buzzes. I couldn't pinpoint because of them, so I just dug out everything. I kept pulling nails and rechecking the hole. Every time I got some nails out, the 80s signal got stronger. I had to make a much larger hole than normal to get all of the masking nails out of the way. Finally, the pinpointer hit a strong signal that didn't stick to the magnet I have mounted on the back of it. I brushed the dirt away and revealed a coin at the bottom of the 7" deep hole. I was pretty sure it was part of the spill, but could not be sure until I cleaned the date off. It was another 1868. Unfortunately, it must have been lying right against a nail. There was pure sand underneath the 7-8" of topsoil in that area and I had pulled nails out of the sand that were completely below the topsoil. I believe this coin was down in the sand against a nail because it does not have the green patina that they get from the topsoil. It is perfectly brown except where it was against the nail. That corrosion in the center of the obverse turned this nice piece into a cull.

View attachment 2144343 View attachment 2144344 View attachment 2144345 View attachment 2144346 View attachment 2144347

I saved all the nails I pulled out of that hole to show you guys. These are in addition to the ones I pulled out the day I found the spill. I found the barber dime yesterday two inches from the concrete of the sidewalk about half a block North of the spill.

Now, I gotta tell you guys another story. I got a call this morning from Gare and E-Trac-Ohio on this forum and they said they are going to start calling me Custer because I am absolutely KILLING the Indians. LOL I bet there are guys who read this forum who have already found more Indians this year than the 45 I have. And, if I am not mistaken, Custer didn't kill the Indians. They killed him!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread