1865 5Fr

Walid1010

Greenie
Oct 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there, a guy here in my country advertising this coin for sale and i want to buy it, but the problem is that i don't know what exactly this coin and how much it worth, so i woud appreciate if you tell me how much should i pay for it.
GNJqUL0.jpg

47VeuV1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
There are copies of the Swiss Shooting Thalers offered on ebay from time to time. I won an Graubunden 4 Francs KM#17 last year that proved to be silver plated brass.
The seller was in Moldovia, but I think the fakes are coming out of Russia. The silver content is not given in my old Krause catalog for this issue. Regular Swiss Confederation issues are 25.00 gms, .900 fine, and the assayed silver weight is .7234 oz.. I don't know how this compares to the commemorative shooting festival thalers because under that heading it says that by law the shooting thalers are legal tender of 5 Swiss Francs, but it also reads that the silver fineness starting with the 1855 Solothurn issue is listed as .835 fine silver, so there would be a very slight difference in weight. I would get it looked at by a dealer or collector for a 2nd opinion before I would buy the coin if I were you. If it is genuine, it is a good find because only 10,000 were made in 1865. To me, maybe because of lighting, the tone seems a bit off.
Ask the seller for the history of that particular coin. Is it a family piece, was it found, how long have they had it, why are they wanting to sell it, and so on. You can watch for reactions that might indicate they might know if the coin is real or not.
Good Luck,
Phil

OP
OP
Walid1010

Walid1010

Greenie
Oct 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the reply, @wagbert I'll consider the wight before i buy it and ask the seller about the coin, @Mackaydon please tell me how did you find that

OP
OP
Walid1010

Walid1010

Greenie
Oct 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the coin appears original, and he want to give it to me for 100$

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Wow! What a deal. Six 1865 Thalers for only 12 bucks. If we sold them for $100 a piece, that would be $588 profit. Hmmm?
Be careful on this one.
Phil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread