Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never cleaned Morgans are not uncommon. No cleaned coin will ever be graded Uncirculated, even if the coin never saw circulation. Once the mint luster is removed, which is obvious to spot in person (can't tell for sure from your photos but looks like it lacks mint luster), it will never have mint luster again. Appears it wasn't recently cleaned, but cleaned none the less. Still a very nice coin.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, tons of uncleaned Morgans around, unfortunately sometimes it can be hard to spot when they have been.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Circulation alone will remove mint luster. Bouncing around in someones pocket will do the same and its all bs.
Theres no way they can see scratches from cleaning on a coin like that. That only works for new coins.

Do a test yourself. Break open 5 sealed coins and send them in. Youll get 5 different grades and some will be cleaned. Its not uncommon at all and the grading can change by the day.

Just like the ones that sold shovels and picks to the miners, its the biggest scam in the industry.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here's a PCGS graded 1885-CC MS63. As you can see it has no black ring around outer edge of coin. I purchased as an investment coin decades ago. Some people placed uncirculated coins in wrong medium and the chemicals in plastic leached out into coin. Then they tried to clean them to approve their appearance.
I once sent a coin in that I thought was about uncirculated and they would not even grade the coin. I had a similar reaction. It was a $1000 coin - if graded easy.

Attachments

• TN1205.jpg
    TN1205.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 29

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I have had several PVC damaged coins handed to me over the years. So many people gave up on them thinking you could only rub off the slimey yellow or pink plastic. A soak in warm acetone and some q-tips rolling over the the coin, NOT scrubbing, but rolling cleaned them right up. Graded out the last two AU.

I would suggest dipping that coin and then placing on a wood fireplace for a couple of months. It will turn a golden hue and give it some color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions