1895 S Morgan Silver dollar

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a Redbook anymore well I don't know where it is at anymore. I was wondering what you guys might think this coin is worth. I feel kind of bad to pay $200 for it and it looks like it might be worth a lot more than I thought. I was thinking maybe extra fine. I don't know... it is definitely real but it's also a lot nicer than I thought it was as well. But just wondering what you think a possible grade and price would be worth on a coin like this. EBay completed listings are all over the place which most of that stuff is anyways but just trying to get an idea! Thanks.

image-2628567795.jpg image-3402741619.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1991 Red Book lists the price of that coin in EF 350.00 That's 1991 prices. Gary

1991? I have a 2000 addition sitting here think we need something a little newer. I was going to post one in the thread from 1946 but I can't find where I put it!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If no one else posts a current value, I can when I get home tonight. I have a 2014 Redbook.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If no one else posts a current value, I can when I get home tonight. I have a 2014 Redbook.

Thanks. I have an appointment with somebody else at 2:30 and they're not here yet. And then another one at 4:30 so hopefully in between then I can get the Barnes & Noble I suppose the Internet prices are pretty good too I'm just curious

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using my PCGS Photograde app, I don't think you hit the EF (aka XF) grades. I would put it in one of the VF grades though, and a good buy nonetheless. Nice low 400,000 mintage.

I wish I would find stuff like this at estate sales at these prices. Were you the first person in the sale? Any sale around here with coins draws a crowd and it's not unusual for the first guy in line to grab the good coins. At my best sale for coins I was No. 2 in line, and still the No. 1 guy looked at all the good stuff first and I could only buy what he didn't want. Bought some good coins but still kicking myself for not speaking up and asking to see the stuff he hadn't go to yet.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using my PCGS Photograde app, I don't think you hit the EF (aka XF) grades. I would put it in one of the VF grades though, and a good buy nonetheless. Nice low 400,000 mintage. I wish I would find stuff like this at estate sales at these prices. Were you the first person in the sale? Any sale around here with coins draws a crowd and it's not unusual for the first guy in line to grab the good coins. At my best sale for coins I was No. 2 in line, and still the No. 1 guy looked at all the good stuff first and I could only buy what he didn't want. Bought some good coins but still kicking myself for not speaking up and asking to see the stuff he hadn't go to yet.

This was a call back from the yard sale I went to. I guess I met her at a previous yard sale I didn't put two into together because I meet so many people and I just told her I click calling so if she had anything like that to give me a call. So I went directly to her house today so all the coins are from there and then there was a couple other pieces from another yard sale. So I did not find these at a garage sale but it was a return phone call from a yard sale I did go to two weeks ago.

I actually just came from another house I went to her yard sale about a month ago and she had some really nice stuff but I didn't want to forget that kind of money at a yard sale. So now I'm selling it for her as consignment on eBay and I make 30% so I'm happy with that
I always tell him if it doesn't sell here's my card give me a call also for you online for commission and after a weekend of their crazy prices on stuff I get a call back on that pretty often. And then sometimes I'll take more than 30% depending on what it is.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She also has a 14 karat gold necklace. It weighs 108 g. I've never seen anything like it it's probably 24 inches long at least the thing is huge. I'll be gunning for that thing after Christmas I just can't afford it. Were going to Disney World right now I don't want to go to Disney with no money that be a bad idea on my part.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Got my 2014 copy of the Redbook out.

1895-S Morgan dollar is as follows:
Mintage: 400,000

Value:
(VF-20) - $900
(EF-40) - $1,200
(AU-50) - $1,800
(MS-60) - $3,900
(MS-63) - $6,250
(MS-64) - $8,000
(MS-65) - $27,500

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Why even look in a red book? The only thing that is useful for is to tell you if it is a common date or if you need to do more research to get a current price. I use my trusty 1977 red book for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread