1898 Morgan

Squatty

Aug 26, 2013
Gilmanton NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was certainly a find that I have never forgotten, but I didn't "find" it like you might think. Here is the story. On a nice summer day back in 2010, I was walking about in the oldest cemetery in my town, reading the old stones. It's another hobby of mine - another story. Anyway I come upon the grave of a young local man named Harry that had died an untimely death a few years earlier. I remembered reading about him in the paper. His stone was decorated with things that heartbroken family and friends had left behind, among these things were nik-naks, pennies and small painted rocks. One of the coins was larger, and upon closer look I saw it to be this incredible 1898 Morgan silver dollar. I had never held one before until now. Doing anything with the Morgan other than putting it back never even entered my mind. Someone who loved Harry left it there, and there it would stay. I took a picture of it, said a little prayer for Harry and set it down. But what did occur to me was that the next person walking by with the weed whacker, or visiting was probably going to take it. And there was nothing I could do about it. I put it back and walked away, grateful for "finding" it and hold it, if only for a few moments. I went back a few weeks later and sure enough, the Morgan was long gone.
P1010688_zpse5e835a8.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Squatty

Squatty

Aug 26, 2013
Gilmanton NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking later on. Bury it in the flower bed, or hide it under a pot or something. Totally dropped the ball.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some people :icon_scratch:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you this: if you had kept it and posted the fact here, you would have been a most hated member. You did the right thing and put it back.....the bad karma is on whomever took it. Just know you did the right thing.

carcusrex

Jan 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What he said.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions