1923 Peace Dollar in coin counter!

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5d808x.jpg

v594qw.jpg

Ok, now for the story behind it. 3 weeks ago, I uncontrollably slid about 30 feet down a mountainside at Bridal Veil Falls, Utah. After a week or so, I was able to walk and carry coins, but I couldn't straighten my left leg. 6 days ago, I got an MRI scan of my left knee and it turned out I had a small fracture inside of it. I was then doctor ordered to wear a knee brace and use crutches for 2-4 weeks.

Fast forward to today. I still had a backpack full of almost $1000 in Halves from 6 days ago before I knew I would be in crutches. I went to my dump bank today to grab some money to put into my Wells Fargo account, and I noticed a homeless man holding a sign saying he needed work or money. I asked him if he could carry 50 pounds, he said yes, and I told him I would pay him 2 dollars to carry my pack into the bank. He did, and said he would wait outside. As I went to dump my coins, I found the Silver Dollar. The bank let me keep it, since they let me keep all the foreign coins I find there too. I gave the homeless man 5 dollars instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Karma. This is a very unusual find. Congrats. You helped that man and he helped you thorough the mystery. It is interesting how a peace dollar is considered by the bank as "foreign" money. On the other side it's a win- win situation.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hands down my favorite coin design. Wonderful find!

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't normally post a reply like this, but I feel it's necessary...

"God has blessed you".

H$H!!
TGB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on having honest homeless men. Try that where I live, and you'd be hopping down the street chasing down your $1000 backpack.

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on having honest homeless men. Try that where I live, and you'd be hopping down the street chasing down your $1000 backpack.

He was an older man, so I figured he couldn't carry 50 pounds very quickly. Also note that I said I was walking before I got my crutches. If I would have had to, I would have chased him down. He actually thought I had Pennies in the pack and not Half Dollars and also thought it was 80 pounds instead of 50.

Last edited:

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
PhattyB said:

Yeah righ. In Huntington I'd just shoot after him.
How is it been by the way? I moved

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same 'ole meth lab, pill poppin' noon drunk town as ever. I just got back from South Carolina, been away two weeks.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and you're dead-on right about the weight.

Clad Half: 11.34 grams
Grams per Ounce: 28.35
Grams per Pound: 453.59

2000*11.34= 22680 grams / 453.59 = 50.00110231707048 pounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions