1940's Dump Score! Seven Matching Sterling Silver Salt and Pepper Shakers!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the dump that gave up a Sterling silver military badge yesterday. Didn't find another badge, but I did score some more Sterling silver. I dug up seven matching salt and pepper shakers! They're 3" high and probably from the 1920's or so. Based on the hallmark, they were manufactured by the Manchester Silver Company of Providence, Rhode Island. They were in business under that name from 1914 to 1985.

Out of seven shakers, only three are in decent condition. One is dented, one is split open on the side and I scratched a couple as well with my digger. Tried to clean one, but they're very tarnished. Might be able to make them look presentable, but mainly worth their scrap value. They weigh 17.5 grams each, for a total weight of 122.5 grams. That works out to around $62.50 scrap value. Not a bad day at the dump!

I'll bet there's at least one more shaker at that dump, so I'll be back there tomorrow looking for it!

DSC08143.JPG DSC08144.jpg DSC08147.JPG DSC08149.JPG DSC08148.JPG

Upvote 31
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the town didn't get around to plowing the road that leads to the dump site, so I had to call it a day. Not giving up, though. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Thanks for all the great comments!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! That is awesome, quite a haul!
.....i vaguely remember seeing those when i was little,

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a crazy find. Even more crazy those were thrown away!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread