1958 silver looking Wheatie ...

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello y'all. I found this Wheatie today at a 1950's home. It's looked silver when I dug it up at first but then I saw Lincoln on the front and I thought that it was odd. Anyway, it appears to be hit by a mower or something but the date is 1958 or 1938 for sure. The third number had a curve on it like a 3 or a 5 does. Any ideas on this? Also it is a D mint mark. I found it in Murfreesboro, TN.
Thanks
image.jpeg image.jpeg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Definitely plated. From the images I would guess zinc. Most likely a heavy chemical plating. We used to do this in school, 40+ years ago. If you look at the damage carefully, under magnification, you may find where the plating has flaked off a bit where it did not get a good chemical bond with the copper.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely plated. From the images I would guess zinc. Most likely a heavy chemical plating. We used to do this in school, 40+ years ago. If you look at the damage carefully, under magnification, you may find where the plating has flaked off a bit where it did not get a good chemical bond with the copper.

Either plated or coated with Mercury!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread