1997 Dime question

Ifnotracer

Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I found this coin the other week and I know it's filthy - but, honestly it's kind of weird looking at it through my loop. I know I should know this, but I wanted to ask anyway bc I second guess myself a million times. Either way, it looks cool. Any help would be much appreciated. I can take better pictures if necessary.. Thanks!

1997 P Dime

20150310_234829.jpg 20150310_235007.jpg 20150310_235039.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure what you are asking but I assume that it is the look! With that in mind, I will say that the coin was subjected to and stained by any number of environmental contaminants and probably rust from something Iron or Steel that was laying nearby and rusting away. I say this, because the coin appears to have been out in the elements for some time. The appearance of the Obverse is definitely a product of the coin laying either face down or face up but with something on top of it. This is apparent as the higher portions on the coin which would be parts of Roosevelt's bust, were somewhat protected from the staining, giving it that shadowy appearance on the outer perimeter of the bust.

Frank

OP
OP
I

Ifnotracer

Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Huntsman53. You are really good. I found it face up underneath a piece of rebar, which was next to a lumber yard. I agree, the metal wires mangled it up. It looks very cool, I'm keeping it safe and it will not see anymore harsh days.

Thanks again for the input!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Huntsman53. You are really good. I found it face up underneath a piece of rebar, which was next to a lumber yard. I agree, the metal wires mangled it up. It looks very cool, I'm keeping it safe and it will not see anymore harsh days.

Thanks again for the input!

Why keep it safe? It's nothing more than a stained mangled dime. Buy a piece of gum with it!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Why keep it safe? It's nothing more than a stained mangled dime. Buy a piece of gum with it!

While you and I may not see why someone would keep such a Dime, to each his own! The O.P. may view it as an interesting find and a conversation piece. In the past, I have found coins that I found interesting at the time and held onto them out of curiosity and to show them to others. Now, I am lucky if I can hold onto a Wooden Nickel! LOL!!

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you and I may not see why someone would keep such a Dime, to each his own! The O.P. may view it as an interesting find and a conversation piece. In the past, I have found coins that I found interesting at the time and held onto them out of curiosity and to show them to others. Now, I am lucky if I can hold onto a Wooden Nickel! LOL!!

Frank

You've got some wooden nickels Frank? Should go well on feebay!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread