1st post! Getting your old dump coins back, and then some.

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys! I've been a long time lurker, but this is my first post. ANYWAYS....

I've been running through boxes of halves pretty consistently, about two boxes per business day for the past few months, with intermittent orders of five boxes. Today was the first time I received one of my own marked coins back :angry5:

I knew it was only a matter of time, but here's there weird part. It came in a box with three 40% Kennedys :icon_scratch: Anyone else have this experience? I typically mark five coins per box and dump in a coin-lok bag. I know silver usually shows up with marked coins in the same box... but never my own mark. To make things worse... my coin was an ender.

On a side note, I tried to up the total volume on boxes from about 20 boxes a week to about 30 boxes a week... then one of the manager dropped the F** word on me... :BangHead: I called corporate to see if there were any fees associated with ordering coins... They said there aren't any fees for regular account holders, but it's at the branch's discretion :dontknow: Donuts are in order for the banks that can keep up with my pace!

Luckily my dump bank doesn't bat an eye at my volume. The merchant teller is like "Only four bags today???" I love my bank. Also found out other people dump there too, one guy in front of me apparently carts in 10 bags of halves on a daily basis, while another brings in 10 bags of quarters :o I'd like to see the size of this bank's cash vault...

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't get the exact coins back that you dump. They get mixed with other coins and then rewrapped. That's why I don't understand when people get upset about getting marked coins. EVERY box has marked coins.
HH
enamel7

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
You don't get the exact coins back that you dump. They get mixed with other coins and then rewrapped. That's why I don't understand when people get upset about getting marked coins. EVERY box has marked coins.
HH
enamel7

Exactly. And if every coin was marked every time it was "found", I think most coins would have no room left for new marks. For the most part, we search the same coins - over and over and over. Hopefully, a collection gets dumped in along with them every now and then puting a little silver into the mix.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking coins is an exercise in futility.

I will repeat this comment everytime someone talks about marking coins......unless all coins came from a single source, it does you absolutely NO good.

Good luck.

F

Farchaus2k

FingerGrime said:
This is why marking coins is pointless.

+1

Bigheed said:

I will repeat this comment everytime someone talks about marking coins......unless all coins came from a single source, it does you absolutely NO good.

Good luck.

+1

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bigheed said:

Good luck.

Maybe you and the OP frequent the same banks? He said that the guy in front of him had 10 bags of halves to dump. That's a lot of CRHing down there by a lot of folks. Hopefully it's not San Diego and just LA. LOL

I thought I had my marking system down for a while. I didn't get my own dumps back often for over a year. However about 6 months ago, I got them very often. Needless to say, the finds have been much less too.

OP
OP
SilverSharpie

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
ArkieBassMan said:
For the most part, we search the same coins - over and over and over. Hopefully, a collection gets dumped in along with them every now and then puting a little silver into the mix.

I had a suspicion of this, it was just a little disheartening to find concrete evidence of me pissing in my own pool :(

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
If anyone happens to run across SM please tell him I found his dumps. Dozens of them. >:(

Rascal

OP
OP
SilverSharpie

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Rascal said:
If anyone happens to run across SM please tell him I found his dumps. Dozens of them. >:(

Rascal

Wow... Arizona??? This SM guy must have a huge reach. I've come across hundreds of his coins over multiple logistics services. In fact whenever I see his coins, they usually accompany silver in the same box... So I read SM as "Silver Mine"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread