mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Haven't posted much latley but I'm off to a good start this week. I'd been thinking about getting out detecting this morning but instead decided to do some coin roll hunting. I had about $850 in rolled dimes and a few nickel rolls I was looking to trade. I hit four banks and was able to trade everything for new rolls to search. I found 2 silver Rosies and 2 .999 Canadian nickels. When I'm at my banks I always ask for halves and two banks came through for me. First girl offers up the two she has and I immediately spot that it is a modern silver proof and a clad half. I buy them for a buck. Other girls have a few and I by them up also. Next bank has about 7 dollars in halves. Found a couple 40%. The half dollar S mint silver is my second. Smudged up with finger prints bu I'll take it. HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oops. Pic didn't load. I'll try again

Attachments

• image-2051238832.jpg
    image-2051238832.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats gotta be a rare find for a hunter. congrats.

Yes thanks hokiemojo, pretty rare find. Takes a clueless person to cash one in for face, and a clueless teller(my favorite kind), to hand it over. Lol

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know that 1973 Canadian nickels came in silver--are they silver proofs?

No, the Canadian nickels are pure nickel. Not proofs either. I was just showing my keepers for that day. It became uneconomical for the Canadian mint to use pure nickel so they switched to 75% copper, 25%nickel in 1982, and later switched to steel. They aren't valuable but I like to keep them because I don't find that many.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
No, the Canadian nickels are pure nickel. Not proofs either. I was just showing my keepers for that day. It became uneconomical for the Canadian mint to use pure nickel so they switched to 75% copper, 25%nickel in 1982, and later switched to steel. They aren't valuable but I like to keep them because I don't find that many.

Nice finds. I love the modern silver proofs!

If you like the 99.9% nickel coins, bear in mind that Canadian dimes and quarters from 1969 to 1999 have the same composition. To my knowledge, considering historical nickel prices, only Canadian nickels have enough nickel in them to make hoarding them worthwhile, though the others are still cool to have.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I love the modern silver proofs!

If you like the 99.9% nickel coins, bear in mind that Canadian dimes and quarters from 1969 to 1999 have the same composition. To my knowledge, considering historical nickel prices, only Canadian nickels have enough nickel in them to make hoarding them worthwhile, though the others are still cool to have.

Yes FT I know the dimes and quarters were nickel also but as you touched on, the relative larger size of the nickel, 20 nickels heavier than 4 quarters or 10 dimes, makes them the only ones worth saving. Also sometimes I find the older ones with the young queen or king George. I just got a couple nickel pages for one of my dansko books which I'm going to fill with my Canadian.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score mercury1! I am still awaiting my first 90% silver proof, good luck with the rest of your boxes!
HH
Buff

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score!!

I have only found one post-64 silver, I think it was an 03 silver proof, but yours looks to be in better condition than mine is, it was fairly beat up.

HH

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice score!!

I have only found one post-64 silver, I think it was an 03 silver proof, but yours looks to be in better condition than mine is, it was fairly beat up.

HH

Info, this was my second modern silver proof and it is in great shape but can't compare to my first, which came out of a teller wrapped roll and was in a plastic protective coin capsule. That coin is perfect. Too bad that teller has moved on to another job.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score mercury1! I am still awaiting my first 90% silver proof, good luck with the rest of your boxes!
HH
Buff

Thanks BB but I struck out on my boxes. Half dollar box skunk streak now at 12.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions