Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
BenButton said:
I save all of the AU 2009 cents that I find. I work at a gas station and rarely find them. I have maybe 20-30 so far. I was thinkin maybe when I have a kid and they grow up they might be worth something. Just because of how rarely I see them. Is one rarer than another? Do you think it is worthwhile to save them?

They are worth saving in my personal opinion. A lot of them have doubling on the reverse and have even seen some on the obverse. Me being the Lincoln collector that I am I save all AU pennies I pull from circulation. I roll them up by date, mark them and throw them into the safe.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Thye 2009 nickels and dimes are worth saving much more than the pennies. there were a lot of pennies made, but very few nickels and dimes. take a look a the mint numbers. And the 2012 quarters are worth saving. They too are rarer. I don't save the 2009 pennies, due to too many made, but on the other hand, if you want to, it's not hurting anybody, so go ahead and save them. :-) I have heard the Washington (#4) is the best one to save by those who swap coins and work in the trade.

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
At first I saved the pennies but after seeing how many people collect them I stopped because that lowers future value mostly all the time.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Any opinion on 2009 halves?

No different than 2008 and 2010 halves. they are NIFC, so rarer, but they never seem to gain any value. I keep a few of each year per mint mark, and then start tossing them back again after I get a few.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thye 2009 nickels and dimes are worth saving much more than the pennies. there were a lot of pennies made, but very few nickels and dimes. take a look a the mint numbers. And the 2012 quarters are worth saving. They too are rarer. I don't save the 2009 pennies, due to too many made, but on the other hand, if you want to, it's not hurting anybody, so go ahead and save them. :-) I have heard the Washington (#4) is the best one to save by those who swap coins and work in the trade.

That's the one I get the least. I keep one of each for my collection, and one spare of each in case someone wants it as part of a trade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread