EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went out today to shake off the cabin fever. It's 45 degrees, practically a heat wave. I searched the last site I found a couple of early 1800's coins on to see if I could maybe start the year with a colonial. I wasn't having much luck with anything but 1960's pennies and a large brass shell casing.
Then I hit this button that rolled out shiny and in good condition.

WW II SAC Air Force.jpg

A fellow hunter friend pulled up and ID' d it as an Air Force SAC button. ("Well, that's cool", I thought) Because of it's good condition and weight, I tested it for silver - positive.
On closer examination, it looks like it might be thickly plated, not a solid cover. (yes?)
The back mark is as you see.
On researching it, it looks to be WW II officer's dress blues button. I like military finds but am not very knowledgeable about them. Any better dating from you all?
How can I tell whether it's just not a fairly new one? (besides the fact that it was about 7 inches down).
I know it's not much, but I'll take it as a good sign for 2015 - why? Because there is a TON of can slaw and flip tops there.. that could have been all I found.. so I'll take the button and say "Hot Dog!"
Thanks in advance for your help.
Have a Great New Year in all things, fellow TNers !

Upvote 11
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is awesome detail on the button! Congrats! Best I've seen in a while!
Brand new when lost I'm guessing.

I'm not quite sure MS - when I looked at it with 30x loupe I can see just a little wear around the wings and the stars so that I can see the silver plate is gone. Hard to tell..
And thanks for your kind post. Here's to a great 2015 for you.. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread