Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Posted a video of the finds so far from these fields. BEWARE MY WIFES POTTY MOUTH (F-BOMB) AROUND THE 1:35 AREA. Poor thing was sick of digging big iron. lol. But she was rewarded with the half.

This site has been stingy but finally got a sliver of silver from this very old dwelling plantation site to confirm the era. We dug at least 100 lead balls of varying calibers here. Yet only a dozen and a half buttons and maybe another couple dozen other relics. A newer homesite on the other end of the large field produced some modern silver. My wife scored a Franklin half there. I concentrated on the old site today with 18Khz freq. Lower freq will not penetrate the soil - even 12 just gives crackles on anything more than a few inches deep. VERY harsh soil conditions here. I even went into the expert section of the freq and bumped it up as far as it would go.

Oxbowbarefoot nailed the ID. Its a pine tree, NOE 2. Thats terrific, thank you. The 6 is visible and I can see some very faint branches. Here's the whole coin below.

<span style="font-family: Verdana">

Attachments

• CIMG0027.JPG
    CIMG0027.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 223
  • CIMG0043.JPG
    CIMG0043.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 243
  • CIMG0029.JPG
    CIMG0029.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 224
  • CIMG0010.JPG
    CIMG0010.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 221
  • CIMG0014.JPG
    CIMG0014.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 219
  • CIMG0035.JPG
    CIMG0035.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 212
  • CIMG0031.JPG
    CIMG0031.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 225
  • CIMG0013.JPG
    CIMG0013.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 215
  • CIMG0012.JPG
    CIMG0012.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 209
  • CIMG0011.JPG
    CIMG0011.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 1652noe2.JPG
    1652noe2.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 1652noe2r.JPG
    1652noe2r.JPG
    468.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote 34
OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary - I'll be passing through your area on Mon and Fri next week, but probably won't have time to stop and try to find the rest of your coin :laughing7:. Good luck!

LOL. You know its odd but I knew what it was as soon as it showed itself. It was covered in a purplish dirt / tone layer. Clearly it was silver. But it was thinner than a Spanish pistareen and somehow I just knew it was cut Mass. Then I wiped the dirt away from one side and proved what I already knew. Strange.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oxbowbarefoot nailed the ID. Thats terrific, thank you. The top of the 6 is visible and I can see some very faint branches. Here's the whole coin:

Attachments

• 1652noe2.JPG
    1652noe2.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1652noe2r.JPG
    1652noe2r.JPG
    468.1 KB · Views: 61

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site has been stingy but finally got a sliver of silver from this very old dwelling plantation site to confirm the era. We dug at least 100 lead balls of varying calibers here. Yet only a dozen and a half buttons and maybe another couple dozen other relics. A newer homesite on the other end of the large field produced some modern silver. My wife scored a Franklin half there. I concentrated on the old site today with 18Khz freq. Lower freq will not penetrate the soil - even 12 just gives crackles on anything more than a few inches deep. VERY harsh soil conditions here. I even went into the expert section of the freq and bumped it up as far as it would go.

Oxbowbarefoot nailed the ID. Thats terrific, thank you. The 6 is visible and I can see some very faint branches. Here's the whole coin:

What type of detector are you using? Super great finds
dennis

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Posted a video of the finds so far from these fields. BEWARE MY WIFES POTTY MOUTH (F-BOMB) AROUND THE 1:35 AREA. Poor thing was sick of digging big iron. lol. But she was rewarded with the half.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Great vid Gary! Almost all of those leather ornaments you guys found are 17th century as are at least 2 of the buckles I saw. Is this the same site where you found all the silver back last spring or a new place? As big as it is you should be busy for quite some time.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great vid Gary! Almost all of those leather ornaments you guys found are 17th century as are at least 2 of the buckles I saw. Is this the same site where you found all the silver back last spring or a new place? As big as it is you should be busy for quite some time.
Thanks, Bill. This is a different permission. Its planted in winter wheat but the farmer said we can't hurt it. I asked several times to be sure and he just doesn't care. Lucky to have it to swing on because like you we're still knee deep in brown, unpicked soybeans at most spots. Been using old land records to find the earliest patents and then cross checking/ comparing the old wills for this particular county. Works great to know with certainty the general vicinity of a long gone plantation etc. Precisely how I got this place. So many 1660s - 1680s patents in the vicinity its hard to keep them straight. Great news. :o)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Bill. This is a different permission. Its planted in winter wheat but the farmer said we can't hurt it. I asked several times to be sure and he just doesn't care. Lucky to have it to swing on because like you we're still knee deep in brown, unpicked soybeans at most spots. Been using old land records to find the earliest patents and then cross checking/ comparing the old wills for this particular county. Works great to know with certainty the general vicinity of a long gone plantation etc. Precisely how I got this place. So many 1660s - 1680s patents in the vicinity its hard to keep them straight. Great news. :o)

That's great you can hunt in the wheat. That would never happen down here. I don't understand all the fuss, though, as I could dig 500 holes and wouldn't damage more than 50 cents worth of wheat. And down here when the beans get cut many of those fields will get wheat planted. Last year they started paying extra subsidies for planting ground cover (including wheat), and that is making life very difficult for us.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great you can hunt in the wheat. That would never happen down here. I don't understand all the fuss, though, as I could dig 500 holes and wouldn't damage more than 50 cents worth of wheat. And down here when the beans get cut many of those fields will get wheat planted. Last year they started paying extra subsidies for planting ground cover (including wheat), and that is making life very difficult for us.

Some do & some don't mine you doing the Wheat. Every farmer varies from;
Not at all once drilled
OK until it Chits
OK until it shows
OK until its about 4 inches

Some even think it makes it better treading on the young wheat, also keeps birds off.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoyed the vid. When we hunt very old places it happens just like that...

you just never know what's in that next hole! Congrats again!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great stuff. Looks like an awesome site right there. HH

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I can only think of about 10 pieces of cut Mass silver being posted here or anywhere. I may have even seen more complete tree coins dug than cut ones.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is some OLD stuff there! Congrats on the Cut Mass and the other finds.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be cool to get a group picture of the cut Mass silvers that have been posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions