2nd. "Gold" Presidential Dollar Coin.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a hum drum kind of day today. I've been avoiding parks & schools lately but it looked like rain so I decided to hit a park anyway.

This park isn't very old and I haven't had great luck in the past there. Today was no exception. I dug the usual clad and trash but I did manage to dig up my second genuine imitation "gold" presidential dollar coin. This is the 2010 James Buchanan model. I thought it was either something great or a token at first.

2nd Gold Presidential Dollar 002.JPG 2nd Gold Presidential Dollar 001.JPG

That was the only unusual thing I found today. It was kinda' anticlimactic after the cool old finds I've had recently. But, we gotta' have our ups and downs I guess.

It did rain so after waiting it out I went to a different area in some woods but only found a few zincoln's, a couple of old shell caps and a couple of .22 bullets. I'm getting a pretty big pile of those old shell caps. Too bad no one wants them.

One REALLY interesting thing did happen on the way to the woods though. I was coming down the road in the rain and a tiny baby deer/fawn that I guess to be no more than 1-2 days old was all alone in the road. I stopped to shoo it out of the road and it walked right up to me, licked my hand and tried to hop in my car. I figure it was looking for milk. It was completely tame and looked to be blind in one eye.

I got out and by then a few more cars stopped. A young couple got out and offered to take it to a local animal sanctuary. They had a little three year old girl and I figured it would be a cool experience for the kid. I picked this little deer up like you would a puppy, handed it to the guy in the passenger seat and off they went. I hated to separate it from it's mother but she was nowhere in sight and the thing would probably have been hit by a car sooner or later.

I also know the girl who runs the sanctuary. She's extremely knowledgeable about all animals (including primates) and will know exactly what to do with it. It will be very well taken care of and released back into the wild. Her property is less than 1/2 mile from a state park where it will be just fine.

I've come across quite a few day old , infant deer in my life and gotten right up close to them but this thing acted like it was a regular pet. I have never seen anything like it. They're usually very fearful, shaky and really nervous around humans. I also never touch them but this one touched me first. It was crazy.

This wasn't much of a treasure day but an interesting one nonetheless.

Thanks for lookin' and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, I've found three so far plus 2 Saca's. Adds up quicker than pennies��

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww, the baby deer was gold!

As for those new gold coins it's better than finding 100 zincs! They always give you a shock when you first see them in the plug.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They always give you a shock when you first see them in the plug.

Yes they do. For that brief moment you feel the rush (immediately followed by disappointment).

And the deer was amazing. It was like a little puppy the way it was licking my hand. Instead of being scared it walked right over like it was really glad to see me. It was really cute I have to admit. The little girl in the car lit right up when she saw it too.

By the time we got it in the car 3 other cars had stopped and took pictures, and a mother and daughter who lived on the road came over and saw it too. My phone was dead and I couldn't even get a shot.
Everyone was petting it and it seemed to enjoy the attention.

I'm just glad it's in a safe place for now and is being well taken care of. I'm sure it misses it's mother. Maybe the mother was hit or something because they usually keep a pretty good eye on them when they're that small.

Then again, the babies usually hunker down in the weeds and wait for the mother' return. This one was just out there running around having a grand old time. I have truly never seen anything quite like it. I'm glad I came by when I did because it could easily have wound up dead on that road.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those dollar coins scream in your ears don't they.LOL.I take my brass shells to a recycling center they will buy them not a local can guy, but at a scrap metal yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread