2nd home in Arizona

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a loaded question, there being many placer deposits in AZ. never been much of a drywashing fan,but that's me....
I've heard many good things about Arivaca from people who live there and prospect. south west central, not too close to any major city.
if you prefer more greener pastures (so to speak), the Bradshaws are good, Prescott is my favorite small city in AZ, the only downside is that winter there is, well, winter.
there is always the old standby of Quartzsite and vicinity, lot of club claims you can work...but...for me, way too crowded with cheezheads and other assorted icebelt nitwits with rv's.
the Kingman area isn't as crowded, land is dirt cheap (literally) in places nearby like Golden Valley and Yucca and there's gold to be found.
just a few thoughts, others will weigh in.
I love AZ, all the good w/out the SoCal attitude.

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks, I will start looking into those areas. I have been out to Prescott and Black Canyon City. Both nice areas.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am in Tucson medium size city (500,000) with small town feeling. Winters are great. Today its going to be 75. From midtown you could be prospecting within 30 minutes. Plus you have the best damn college basketball team year in and year out.

Here is a short 3m of Arizona I filmed from my drone (UAV).

Pena Blanca Lake south of Tucson and in the gold country.

Far east side of Tucson lies Cienega Creek.

Oro Valley is a suburb just north of Tucson.

[video=vimeo;188223583]https://vimeo.com/188223583/37e11a9ee6[/video]

A 45 minute drive up Catalina highway you will find this area out of Tucson.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mu50stang just so you know the first opening 15 seconds of Terry's first video is Sedona and not Prescott. Prescott is 50 miles southwest of Sedona. Prescott is a mile high city summers are nice.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey AZVIPER, 20 years ago we had 500,000, now it over 1mil,
Far west side south of Avra Valley, north of 3 points

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live down in the southwest corner of Arizona. Little out of the way place called Clifton. Lots of places to prospect here with easy access to both Arizona and New Mexico as I am only about 10 miles from the border.

Property prices here really are not too bad if you can find a place for sale.

Only downside here is the fact that i am far enough out, that it takes 45 minutes to get to the nearest decent sized town for most things. But I can run around the desert here all day and not see a single person.

There is gold here but your gonna work for it.

Jeffrey Harris

Greenie
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cave Creek. Cowboys, Bikers, Hippies, and Tourists. It is an old mining town, various gold sites within an hour to an hour and a half. GPAA, Roadrunner Prospecting Club claims close by.

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for the videos. Prescott is nice but when we had visited it was cold there in the winter. Not sure if that is normal for there, but trying to escape the cold back home.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cave Creek area is Pricey , you will usually see snow in the Prescott Valley. Phoenix is central. I've been in both Show Low and Flagstaff in July and seen snow.
nuggets still found in the Bradshaws as well as north of Kingman, pickers can be found in southern AZ.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The largest nuggets found in Arizona are near the southern border. There is good gold in many of the southeast to west central areas of Arizona. Weather wise you are better off in the winter around Phoenix, Tucson or Quartzsite. Prescott is far too cold for a winter retreat from the cold.

Consider Wickenburg or Black Canyon if the homes in Cave Creek/Scottsdale area are too pricey. The winter weather is great here. Get north by mid April and you can avoid the super hot and long summers.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.... The one thing about Arid-Zona is that it's the best kept secret in the U.S.A. We've got just about any kind of weather you could want and if you don't like it at the moment....give it a minute and it will change! ;)

You can find anything from Alpine to low desert for terrain types. There are even places with year round streams if you look hard enough. From here in Golden Valley, I can drive 20 minutes to Bullhead City and have it 15 degrees higher in temperature. Go the other way up Hualapai Mtn and it drops 10 degrees. Good gold in the area if you don't mind working for it too. Elevation at our place is about 3,250 but in Bullhead it's about 575 or so. 20 minutes from here to Bullhead/Laughlin and about an hour to Lost Wages. Traffic.....what traffic? (I just got back from California and was reminded why I left there in the first place.)

All in all with a little research you can find just what the doctor ordered. Every area has it's good and bad points of course and you'll have to consider them in your decision. You just might find that you need a couple of places here. I know I'll be grabbing up another place one of these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread