Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 First's at Field Site #2!!

I have been working a field property with 3 sites. So far Site 1 has been productive and it's been hard to leave it and move on. After about an hour and a half today moving east/west over my previous north/south passes I was skunked. I decided to go investigate site #2 a little better. I have made a few wide swaths looking for the "brick" debris field. Although I have seen a lot of glass, crockery, iron/nails I wasn't sure how close to the actual site I was. Based on finding very few bricks, I think this may have been a frame home and the small amount of bricks may have been a from cooking/hearth.

1st) First. Surface find coin! So after settling on an area of glass and crockery shards, I started swinging my coil. It took about a half hour and I got a great loud/shallow 12/45 on the E-trac, after 3-4 left and right swipes pulling my coil backwards to pin point, there it was on the SURFACE an 1820 LC!

2nd) First. 3 LC day! After about 3 hours I found my 3rd LC. I have been lucky before, I think I've had 3 previous 2 LC days, but today I found 3! I found the 1820 (surface) an 1832 and 1842 a first for both of these dates. I also found a CW Store Card. Obverse, (I think) Mut. Life Ins. Co. Capital over 6,000,000 Dollars 1864. Reverse, (I think) C. W. Ellis Gen. Agt. 35 W. 3d St. Cin, O Dayton Agency 44 Jeff. St

3rd) First. Is also another Surface find and after 3 different determinations I'm still not sure what I have. "Counterfit" "Plated" Seated? So I'm filling in a hole about to get up and to my right at about arms length I see what I think is a flat button. I stretch out and grab it, flip it over to see if the shank is there, no shank? I see the faint shield of the Eagle, but didn't see the Eagle, although I thought it was a little small, I convinced my self it was a 2 cent coin. (1st determination) I filmed this find and even said, "it seem's small, but I guess I have found my 3rd ever 2 cent coin."

When I got home and rinsed it off, that is when I saw the Eagle, BOOM I thought I had just found my first half cent!! (2nd determination) I have seen them posted, but never found one. I didn't know exactly what they look like off hand. So after googling, (before cleaning) so I could see the Eagle on the backs of 1/2 cents, I was surprised to see they don't have an Eagle, but there is a 1837 "token" type that says good for 1/2 cents in copper. After rinsing it off I could see a Seated Lady liberty, WHOA! did I just find my very First Seated Quarter? (3rd determination) It is holed at the date, green like a copper and A BIG PUZZLE to me.

I have only found 2 field Silvers and they're not green! Some of my other (existing home site) Silvers are tarnished a little black, some have rust stains but none are GREEN! This make me wonder if this could have been "Plated" and be a counterfeit? Could my FIRST ever Seated Quarter, not be:icon_scratch:

Please help me ID the Green Seated, Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• 1-23-2015 Group.JPG
    1-23-2015 Group.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 3 LCs Obverse.JPG
    3 LCs Obverse.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Seated Quarter CW Store Card Obverse.JPG
    Seated Quarter CW Store Card Obverse.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Seated Quarter CW Store Card Reverse.JPG