40% rim

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
The outer layer of a 40% coin is 80% silver. I've seen 1969s that look damn near pure though.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just need practice.

They definitely look different.

Buy a couple from your local coin shop, so you know for sure what they look like. Or just date check if you are uncertain.

To be sure, they look different. You can still see a metal sandwich most of the time, But instead of a nickle/copper sandwich, you get a SILVER copper sandwich, which looks totally different.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rims of 40%ers can look anywhere from a 90%er to a common clad at first glance...or anywhere in between.

OP
OP
K

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just need practice.

They definitely look different.

Buy a couple from your local coin shop, so you know for sure what they look like. Or just date check if you are uncertain.

To be sure, they look different. You can still see a metal sandwich most of the time, But instead of a nickle/copper sandwich, you get a SILVER copper sandwich, which looks totally different.

Ty for the info. I should go buy a sample couple of some of the coins im looking for... thats a great idea :)

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or just date search for your first few boxes until you get the hang of it! Can't hurt to be patient.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah go with accord's advice... Rim check them first and see what you can find, then date check to be sure.

HH!

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't just search the rims or you will miss out on proofs and 1987's as well as 2002-2013s if your keeping those

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monsta, I think date checking is going a little overboard. I've gotten some good advise on here about searching halves and wish I could remember who suggested this but I first edge check, date check only suspicious edges, and then drop the stack, one at a time, into your other hand. Doing this will allow you to hear any silver you might have missed. When you get your hands on some silver coins, listen to the sound they make compared to clad. It's very distinctive and noticeable. To my knowledge, I have never missed a silver, edge checking, but have seen pictures of 40% that look just like clad when viewed from the edge. Also you can pick out clad commemoratives as you drop the coins, as the different design is very noticeable. Nothing wrong with date checking every coin if you want to but you will probably stop doing it once you get some experience and tune in your silver ear. Good luck and HH.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it actually happens exactly opposite for a lot of us. We start out just looking for silver. Some will quit during a skunk streak or begin looking at it as a hobby instead of a side job. With time, we learn there is more to CRHing than just silver. We move towards checking every coin and actually slowing down rather than speeding up the process. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone. If you have limited time or have the resources to purchase and dump 20 or more boxes, then you will probably just edge search for silver and only look for variety/error in coins with pristine or unique edges.

OO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread