48 MILLION Yr. OLD INSECTS

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I collected these on Saturday in western Colorado. They are from the Eocene Green River Formation. Here is a link that tells a bit more about them. My guess Diptera.
http://www.coloradomtn.edu/campus_rfl/staff_rfl/kohls/eocene.html

Locarion: From I-70 in western Colorado take the Rifle exit and go 19.5 miles north on Rt 13 toward Meeker. At a deserted truck stop(red buildings) go west on Piceance Creek Rd(left). Go 1.9 miles and you will see a good sized area to turn off, This is where I found them. There are a lot of places to collect on the right side of the road- go a bit further and you can see lots of outcrops but difficult to park(BLM land). I have see other groups collect here.

These are difficult to find. I spent 2 hours splitting shale before I found these two. Notice the delicate winged membranes preserved. Also a lot of plant material. The last photo is of a delicate leaf.

You will be splitting the lt brown Green River shale. The gray shale is devoid of fossils. Recommend hand lens. eye protection and a rock hammer. A good chisel is a must for splitting the shale. A lot of hard work but insects are always rare finds.

George

Attachments

• DSCN0045.JPG
    DSCN0045.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCN0044.JPG
    DSCN0044.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 566
  • DSCN0041.JPG
    DSCN0041.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 465

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! George!....those are some great fossils!!!! I bet you did have to work hard for those!! Thanks for sharing.... ;)

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very sweet finds!!! looks like you'll end up with a nice collection...
searcher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions